Poor service from dealer

ScreenNameEEEAB1D175 replied on 03/11/2021 09:39

Posted on 03/11/2021 09:39

Hi Everyone,

My first post about the appalling service from Glossop caravans or should I say no service. Well I purchased a swift conqueror 570  Second hand but at 21k and sold with there no quibble warranty you would think there would even call back but no.

I called there service department to complain that my swift command unit would not connect to blue tooth as they said it should, getting in touch with swift themselves they said the unit is faulty but not covered by there warranty so should contact the dealer to no avail.

I reported a small crack just under the rear high level off side light, so a dozen emails and calls later customer service called and said there will take it to there manager. Now months later still no response from them. 

All we ever want is a decent support from dealers when they sell but as usual they are only interested in sales and nothing else, they cannot blame Covid for poor service. Still not put me off caravanning.

Thanks All.

JVB66 replied on 03/11/2021 16:13

Posted on 03/11/2021 16:13

Glossop caravans as quite a few others are well known for poor aftersales serviceundecided

We have learnt over the years of quite a few LVs to ,buy local, where you can desk thump if neededsurprised

One dealer from Nottingham tried to blame every one but their own service dept  when a wheel came off a new caravan on the M1when we picked it upyell

paulfrompontefract replied on 05/11/2021 13:29

Posted on 05/11/2021 13:29

In my experience ( having owned several vans since 1981) this is not just a problem with the one dealer you name, but a problem with  most dealers and  all manufacturers of caravans. There is no mechanism for them to be held accountable for poor service, and it’s not visible other than in forums like this one. 

Most dealers  have no concept of customer after sales requirements, and I’ve yet to come across a manufacturer that lives by their claims that they are customer focussed ( or similar corporate statements).

it is high time caravanning and member organisations pushed for an industry wide standard for after sales and/ or customer care, which dealers/manufacturers should strive to achieve. A system that requires independent third party audits against a score card would drive improvements in this provision. The need for company reports to include their score against a standard alongside details of action plans and made publicly available ( for customers) would certainly focus an organisation in neglected and poorly managed aftercare provision.  It would also give us caravanning folk a choice in where to spend our hard earned money.

come on Caravan Club, take up the mantle on behalf of your members!!!

Tinwheeler replied on 05/11/2021 13:48

Posted on 05/11/2021 13:29 by paulfrompontefract

In my experience ( having owned several vans since 1981) this is not just a problem with the one dealer you name, but a problem with  most dealers and  all manufacturers of caravans. There is no mechanism for them to be held accountable for poor service, and it’s not visible other than in forums like this one. 

Most dealers  have no concept of customer after sales requirements, and I’ve yet to come across a manufacturer that lives by their claims that they are customer focussed ( or similar corporate statements).

it is high time caravanning and member organisations pushed for an industry wide standard for after sales and/ or customer care, which dealers/manufacturers should strive to achieve. A system that requires independent third party audits against a score card would drive improvements in this provision. The need for company reports to include their score against a standard alongside details of action plans and made publicly available ( for customers) would certainly focus an organisation in neglected and poorly managed aftercare provision.  It would also give us caravanning folk a choice in where to spend our hard earned money.

come on Caravan Club, take up the mantle on behalf of your members!!!

Posted on 05/11/2021 13:48

You are not the first person to suggest clubs should take up the cudgel with manufacturers and dealers.

What isn’t realised by some folk is that manufacturers and dealers are members of the NCC which is a trade organisation primarily interested in looking after its members, not us customers. Both the major clubs are also members of the NCC so we have all branches of the industry, including the clubs, sharing the umbrella of the NCC.

In addition, the clubs receive income from advertising, LVs for review and so on from their cohorts in the NCC. Therefore, no one is likely to rock the boat within that set up.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/11/2021 14:50

Posted on 05/11/2021 14:50

Club appears to endorse some dealers https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/club-talk/caravanning-events-and-announcements/glossop-caravans-open-weekend/

So you will get no joy asking the Club to look into poor service etc..... We know someone who took Glossop Caravans to court, and won, around the kind of after sales care they received. Very much Caveat Emptor, I doubt they are they only such dealers with a poor after sales record. Well composed reviews, factual of course, are your best response. Once you have got things sorted to your satisfaction.

JohnM20 replied on 05/11/2021 16:27

Posted on 05/11/2021 16:27

Rather than name and shame dealers and manufacturers etc, and I'm tempted to,  why don't we start a thread naming the organisations that give excellent service?

The one that springs to mind immediately is Sargent Electrical Services that provide the chargers and alarms etc for many makes of caravan. I have had an issue with the alarm in my caravan from new and am now on replacement number three, their technical department have always responded immediately and sorted my problem to the point that the problem is not now ongoing.

Although I have only had to contact them a couple of times over many years, another is Truma with immediate help to solve a couple of problems. 

The third in my list is 614 Caravan Servicing from Nottingham. Excellent service from Allan.

This would really need a new and dedicated thread just naming the companies concerned. If anyone else has had good service they could just add a 'Like' so that the thread doesn't get too long. Anyone else like this idea?

Tinwheeler replied on 05/11/2021 16:44

Posted on 05/11/2021 16:27 by JohnM20

Rather than name and shame dealers and manufacturers etc, and I'm tempted to,  why don't we start a thread naming the organisations that give excellent service?

The one that springs to mind immediately is Sargent Electrical Services that provide the chargers and alarms etc for many makes of caravan. I have had an issue with the alarm in my caravan from new and am now on replacement number three, their technical department have always responded immediately and sorted my problem to the point that the problem is not now ongoing.

Although I have only had to contact them a couple of times over many years, another is Truma with immediate help to solve a couple of problems. 

The third in my list is 614 Caravan Servicing from Nottingham. Excellent service from Allan.

This would really need a new and dedicated thread just naming the companies concerned. If anyone else has had good service they could just add a 'Like' so that the thread doesn't get too long. Anyone else like this idea?

Posted on 05/11/2021 16:44

My only issue is that I can foresee disagreements, John.

For instance, while I agree about Sargent's helpfulness, why on earth do they churn out so many units that give trouble? You see, that's an example of how a thread would wander, become lengthy and you’d never be able to find relevant info if you needed it.

A sticky thread consisting of a spreadsheet listing only names and contact details in, perhaps, county order would be easy to refer to if someone was willing to start it and keep it updated.

EmilysDad replied on 05/11/2021 20:26

Posted on 05/11/2021 16:44 by Tinwheeler

My only issue is that I can foresee disagreements, John.

For instance, while I agree about Sargent's helpfulness, why on earth do they churn out so many units that give trouble? You see, that's an example of how a thread would wander, become lengthy and you’d never be able to find relevant info if you needed it.

A sticky thread consisting of a spreadsheet listing only names and contact details in, perhaps, county order would be easy to refer to if someone was willing to start it and keep it updated.

Posted on 05/11/2021 20:26

... For instance, while I agree about Sargent's helpfulness, why on earth do they churn out so many units that give trouble?

In a nut shell. I found that Sargent were very helpful with a repair to a power supply unit ... above & beyond etc, however, they repaired the alarm on my caravan shortly after I bought it at 3 yrs old, it worked for a while but now does exactly what I sent it back to them for repair.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook