Mounting a tv

ScreenName955E982D46 replied on 18/07/2021 19:31

Posted on 18/07/2021 19:31

Hi! I'm completely new to caravanning. I bought a swift corniche 15/2 from 2009 and I'm trying to space save and be organised. Is there a way to mount a TV bracket with arm in a caravan. I'd like to have it on the wall in the image but unsure if it would be stable.

Tinwheeler replied on 18/07/2021 19:59

Posted on 18/07/2021 19:59

Do you mean you would like to mount it on the actual caravan wall? If so, don't do it.

The wall forms part of the structure of the caravan which you could weaken. It would be impossible to reinforce the wall to take the weight and fixings and it is also very likely that you would puncture the outer skin of the van with the result you would incur water ingress. Never, ever, compromise the basic structure or integrity of your van.

You need to think seriously before making any alterations at all such as asking yourself what is behind that panel and what damage you could do. In the same way, the 'wooden' upright shown in your picture would not be suitable because the cabling to your controls and switches is beneath that cover.

Wall mounting a TV bracket in a caravan needs to be to a surface such as the side wall of a wardrobe with a reinforcing panel on the other side to receive the fixings.

I think you’re better off to leave the TV free standing.

JVB66 replied on 18/07/2021 20:12

Posted on 18/07/2021 20:12

Looking at the picture the wood cabinet with the heater controls ,is possibly the place where a bracket could be mounted ,by using bolts through wood? ,and mount the TV on the bracket using a detachable mount ,to enable removal when traveling

The wall of the caravan would not be a suitable surface

lagerorwine replied on 22/07/2021 11:18

Posted on 22/07/2021 11:18

It should be possible to remove the upper switches/sockets on the boxing, to establish what needs to be avoided (wires etc), then it 'may' be possible to mount the bracket safely.

In an ideal world, don't choose a bracket with too much extension.

jennyc replied on 26/07/2021 08:23

Posted on 26/07/2021 08:23

Considerable effort is made by caravan manufactures to keep everything as light as possible, for towing reasons. That translates into thin walled often foam or egg box infills to give an appearance of weight. As such, you are unlikely to hit a reinforced infill with adequate grip to sustain the weight of a TV. Where manufactures install a bracket as standard, they incorporate a reinforced ‘hard point’. You will probably need to bolt through an internal panel, backed with a load spreading piece of wood.

Or, abandon your TV and stream through a tablet or laptop, enjoying a greater choice of programs. And quite often, better picture resolution, lower power consumption along with the convenience of taking less space when not in use.

Pippah45 replied on 26/07/2021 17:12

Posted on 26/07/2021 17:12

I fixed a mounting to the base of one of the upper lockers some years ago - but do NOT try and travel with the TV fixed on it.  If you did you would probably wreck the locker not to mention the TV :)  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook