BMW factory fitted towbar

robbentley1963 replied on 16/07/2018 14:44

Posted on 16/07/2018 14:44

On Saturday I placed an order for an X3 2.0d SE and asked for them to quote to include the BMW towbar. I asked what electrics came with it which completely floored the salesman, so off he went to ask a colleague. Single plug came the reply, so I assumed 13 pin connectivity, especially give that I had made it quite clear throughout what I was going to be towing! 

However on my return home I had a nagging doubt as to the advice I had been given so had a look online - nothing to be found on the BMW site, but quite a bit of discussions on this and other forums going back a couple of years about only trailer wiring being provided, with the rest being a retro fit by the dealer.  

Hoping I hadn’t been stitched up, I contacted the dealer to clarify what was provided and after a couple of days they have confirmed that a further £575 inc VAT (after discount ) will be required to provide power to the fridge and battery charger. Not happy, and needless to say i’m going to argue the point, but I thought it worth putting a thread on here to confirm that it is still a problem, and that BMW dealerships don’t seem to be trained up in this area, so beware!

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

lornalou1 replied on 05/08/2018 19:11

Posted on 05/08/2018 19:11

why would you wait for the continuos tone as this makes it very close to the obstacle and would restrict you using the tailgate 3 to 4". if you reversed up to another vehicle would you trust them to have the clutch control and not roll into you. find a car park with a wall that you can reverse to and note the tone speed and use that every time with the distance thats required for peace of mind. Or a rear view camera.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook