BMW factory fitted towbar

robbentley1963 replied on 16/07/2018 14:44

Posted on 16/07/2018 14:44

On Saturday I placed an order for an X3 2.0d SE and asked for them to quote to include the BMW towbar. I asked what electrics came with it which completely floored the salesman, so off he went to ask a colleague. Single plug came the reply, so I assumed 13 pin connectivity, especially give that I had made it quite clear throughout what I was going to be towing! 

However on my return home I had a nagging doubt as to the advice I had been given so had a look online - nothing to be found on the BMW site, but quite a bit of discussions on this and other forums going back a couple of years about only trailer wiring being provided, with the rest being a retro fit by the dealer.  

Hoping I hadn’t been stitched up, I contacted the dealer to clarify what was provided and after a couple of days they have confirmed that a further £575 inc VAT (after discount ) will be required to provide power to the fridge and battery charger. Not happy, and needless to say i’m going to argue the point, but I thought it worth putting a thread on here to confirm that it is still a problem, and that BMW dealerships don’t seem to be trained up in this area, so beware!

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

birderbilly replied on 02/08/2018 10:12

Posted on 01/08/2018 20:15 by lagerorwine

lornalou, Yes its the car alarm that sounds, but I don't know how it does this. Haven't checked if it works though, but that is what the car manual states

Posted on 02/08/2018 10:12

It works on our Passat, found this out on the Ferry. Locked car and unclipped plug as I believe you are recommended to do and sure enough the car alarm sounds.

It is absolutely not the case to say that all German cars are the same, VW quite clearly state in their literature that U.K. cars with factory fit tow bars come fully wired and indeed they are, that may not have always been the case but it is now and in the case of the Passat has been for at least the last 6 years. It is also not true to say that all tow bars are dealer fit as opposed to factory fit, the electric swivel tow bar on VWs is most certainly factory fit.

Steve3 replied on 04/08/2018 14:13

Posted on 04/08/2018 14:13

Many, thanks robbentley1963, Caravanner and others. This has given me some serious food for thought.  Some 8 weeks ago i took delivery of a brand new X3 'M sports' - 'direct from the factory, having waited 10 weeks for delivery, amongst other 'factory fitted' options -  was the factory fitted swivel towbar, with electrics and as said in the brochure, The towbar with electrically, adjustable tow ball and trailer, stability control is approved for heavy loads of up to 2,400kg.

At the time of ordering, I confirmed that the electrical set up would  provide power to both fridge and battery charger? - A little unsure, off went the sales person, only to return several minutes later and responded with an extremely confident 'yes power would be provided to both fridge and battery charger'. What was interesting given the fact we were ordering a number of additional packages, wheel upgrade, sunroof etc, and challenging the fact that as on previous occasions if the price could not be reduced, brochure price of £765, I would have to re-consider - to my utter amazement, the response was 'what ever the 'local' dealer could supply and install at, they would price match!! So,I now have the car -

But does the electrics 'do' what is says on the tin?  I'll know in the next couple of days, when I marry the 2 up for the first time  - i will report back with the answer, my wife has fingers crossed! - for me, I do really hope we don't have to revisit the dealership!!

Tigi replied on 04/08/2018 20:51

Posted on 04/08/2018 20:51

Mercedes wire for full UK standards and state this in their  sales literature. 

VW did`nt up to around 2014/15 then changed their policy and now fully wire. Their brochures used to include a warning towbars were not wired for fridge etc.

BMW/Audi have been slow off the mark and any buyer should ensure full wiring is part of the contract of sale or have an agreement for the dealer to complete wiring.

hitchglitch replied on 04/08/2018 22:26

Posted on 04/08/2018 22:26

It does make you wonder actually whether powering the fridge and charger is strictly necessary? We accept it as standard practice in the UK but we also know that running the fridge on 12 volts is not very effective and that the caravan battery is hardly going to run flat between sites. Maybe our continental cousins are right not to bother?

tigerfish replied on 05/08/2018 00:32

Posted on 05/08/2018 00:32

In support of Tigi's comments above, my ML350CDI had a factory fitted tow bar, complete with full electrics, and all 13 pins were properly wired.  Its a great system.

TF

replied on 05/08/2018 07:15

Posted on 04/08/2018 22:26 by hitchglitch

It does make you wonder actually whether powering the fridge and charger is strictly necessary? We accept it as standard practice in the UK but we also know that running the fridge on 12 volts is not very effective and that the caravan battery is hardly going to run flat between sites. Maybe our continental cousins are right not to bother?

Posted on 05/08/2018 07:15

I would agree if on EHU regarding the battery but if not on EHU maybe useful. In the past I powered caravan 12v with a cable from the tow car, as many did 20 years+ ago, and that recharged whilst driving. 

These days needed for trailer control system

Lutz replied on 05/08/2018 09:10

Posted on 20/07/2018 23:48 by padmiester

I'm not sure if it's the same nationally, but my local BMW dealer and other main dealers use a local independent company to fit their so called 'factory fitted' towbars. From what I was told all new cars arrive from with no provision for a towbar and are then passed over to have the towbars fitted. It seems that often due to the sales people's lack of knowledge on the subject that the correct information as to the type of electrics required is not passed on. It may also have something to do with the fact that single 7pin electrics are cheaper than 13pin to fit and the dealer can make more money. 

Posted on 05/08/2018 09:10

"Factory-fitted" means it's fitted on the production line, not by a dealer or an independent company. BMW's factory-fitted towbar is normally an electrically retractable version.

Navigateur replied on 05/08/2018 12:00

Posted on 01/08/2018 20:15 by lagerorwine

lornalou, Yes its the car alarm that sounds, but I don't know how it does this. Haven't checked if it works though, but that is what the car manual states

Posted on 05/08/2018 12:00

It may well be a simple bit of software that uses the exisiting hardware that senses the presence of trailer indicator bulbs.

JohnM20 replied on 05/08/2018 14:09

Posted on 05/08/2018 14:09

My niece is getting a new car (to her) which has a tailgate mounted spare wheel. The car doesn't have rear sensors but she's asked for them to be fitted. The problem is no-one seems to know if they can be calibrated to allow for the protrusion beyond the bumper line to allow for the wheel or will it be a case of stopping when the first intermittent beeps are heard rather than when it is a constant beep. Does anyone have knowledge about this?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook