BMW factory fitted towbar

robbentley1963 replied on 16/07/2018 14:44

Posted on 16/07/2018 14:44

On Saturday I placed an order for an X3 2.0d SE and asked for them to quote to include the BMW towbar. I asked what electrics came with it which completely floored the salesman, so off he went to ask a colleague. Single plug came the reply, so I assumed 13 pin connectivity, especially give that I had made it quite clear throughout what I was going to be towing! 

However on my return home I had a nagging doubt as to the advice I had been given so had a look online - nothing to be found on the BMW site, but quite a bit of discussions on this and other forums going back a couple of years about only trailer wiring being provided, with the rest being a retro fit by the dealer.  

Hoping I hadn’t been stitched up, I contacted the dealer to clarify what was provided and after a couple of days they have confirmed that a further £575 inc VAT (after discount ) will be required to provide power to the fridge and battery charger. Not happy, and needless to say i’m going to argue the point, but I thought it worth putting a thread on here to confirm that it is still a problem, and that BMW dealerships don’t seem to be trained up in this area, so beware!

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

Whittakerr replied on 16/07/2018 14:58

Posted on 16/07/2018 14:58

I got caught out by this a few years ago when I ordered a 502d with tow bar and electrics. This was my first tow car so with no experience I didn’t think to ask it all 13 pins would be wired up. It was only when the car was delivered that myself and the salesman realised the fridge and charger pins were not wired.

He quoted me a silly number, can’t remember the amount, to fit the additional loom. The cost was so big because he said they had to remove the rear bumper and other items to fit it. Had it been ordered with the car the additional cost was less than £100.

In reality not having the fridge and charger on whilst towing didn’t cause me any problems, and when I ordered my next tow car, an Audi, I didn’t bother with it.

hitchglitch replied on 17/07/2018 22:06

Posted on 17/07/2018 22:06

This is a common issue with BMW and one I experienced many years ago. I remember getting a removable tow bar fitted to a 5 series and having extreme difficulty in making them understand the wiring needed for fridge etc. They were emailing Stuttgart and were reluctant to talk to my caravan dealer who knew exactly what was needed. 

Generally a reputable towing electrics Company will know more than BMW and be far cheaper but be careful with warranty. BMW claimed that it was possible to deactivate the car alarm via the DIN plug unless the wiring was done correctly.

Just don’t buy an M5 because I don’t think you can tow at all with it!

Lutz replied on 18/07/2018 07:02

Posted on 16/07/2018 14:58 by Whittakerr

I got caught out by this a few years ago when I ordered a 502d with tow bar and electrics. This was my first tow car so with no experience I didn’t think to ask it all 13 pins would be wired up. It was only when the car was delivered that myself and the salesman realised the fridge and charger pins were not wired.

He quoted me a silly number, can’t remember the amount, to fit the additional loom. The cost was so big because he said they had to remove the rear bumper and other items to fit it. Had it been ordered with the car the additional cost was less than £100.

In reality not having the fridge and charger on whilst towing didn’t cause me any problems, and when I ordered my next tow car, an Audi, I didn’t bother with it.

Posted on 18/07/2018 07:02

There are no provisions for having the car fully wired ex works. It will always be a retrofit at the dealer.

allanandjean replied on 18/07/2018 08:51

Posted on 18/07/2018 08:51

This is not unique to BMW and is connected-no pun intended-to the way that our continetal cousins use their vans. 

I have had two new Audi Q5s and with both have had similar issues, I was thankfully forwarned by a fellow member who had the same issue,and as said it was a waste of time trying to get information from dealers.

I have no expectation that a salesman will know anything about caravanning but when they cannot even explian what a comment in the Audi brochure, referring to 'supplementary wiring', means then it is very frustrating.

The reason, at least in my case, is that in Germany it is not the norm to power the fridge/charger while travelling so it is not provided. The socket looked like a 13 pin but the relevant pins were missing, hence the need for 'supplementary wiring.

I took this up with Audi UK in 2012 when oredering my first car and the picked up the cost of providing and fitting the kit but sadly, but not surprisingly, in 2016 faced exacltly the same problem!

Tigi replied on 18/07/2018 19:23

Posted on 18/07/2018 19:23

Mercedes provide a fully wired plug for UK caravans and in their info they state this to be the case.I have a Bosal retractable towbar which is fully wired. VW used to exclude fridge wiring but I believe now include it.

BMW for some reason have always excluded the fridge wiring even for the UK which is bit of a cheek considering the price of them.

padmiester replied on 20/07/2018 23:48

Posted on 20/07/2018 23:48

I'm not sure if it's the same nationally, but my local BMW dealer and other main dealers use a local independent company to fit their so called 'factory fitted' towbars. From what I was told all new cars arrive from with no provision for a towbar and are then passed over to have the towbars fitted. It seems that often due to the sales people's lack of knowledge on the subject that the correct information as to the type of electrics required is not passed on. It may also have something to do with the fact that single 7pin electrics are cheaper than 13pin to fit and the dealer can make more money. 

replied on 27/07/2018 17:11

Posted on 27/07/2018 17:11

all the German cars are the same. what I can not work out is we changed our 7 pin plugs to go in line with Europe's 13 pin plug. and they only use ten of the thirteen pins ? why   

replied on 27/07/2018 17:16

Posted on 27/07/2018 17:16

by the way I have just brought a touareg with the same problem which will be put right I hope next week. its a 2012 model.

lagerorwine replied on 29/07/2018 22:16

Posted on 29/07/2018 22:16

My 2017 VW Tiguan factory fit swiveling towbar came fully wired to Uk standards for fridge and charging. When hitched, car alarm sounds if caravan is detached from hitch, Sat Nav (when towing) shows both speed limits n screen for normal and towing.

lornalou1 replied on 30/07/2018 11:42

Posted on 29/07/2018 22:16 by lagerorwine

My 2017 VW Tiguan factory fit swiveling towbar came fully wired to Uk standards for fridge and charging. When hitched, car alarm sounds if caravan is detached from hitch, Sat Nav (when towing) shows both speed limits n screen for normal and towing.

Posted on 30/07/2018 11:42

how does that work with the car alarm. does the car alarm have to be activated  like on a motorway services when using facilities. I think thats a brilliant idea and all towbars fitted should have that. there are spare contacts on the 13 pin sockets so would be usefull to find out how this can be done. Google for me next. haha.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook