German Caravans

LynneandCarl replied on 23/08/2021 09:01

Posted on 23/08/2021 09:01

Hi Everyone, we are new to caravanning and are looking to buy either a Hobby or LMC caravan, however we are slightly put off as some sites will not have these vans on them , I know the club sites allow them but we really wanted to use a seasonal pitch on the Gower near Swansea ( my home town ) and there are no sites. Has anyone got any comment to make about these vans , negative or positive, we would appreciate any feedback before we spend a fortune ! Thanks

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

Tinwheeler replied on 23/08/2021 09:48

Posted on 23/08/2021 09:48

Make sure the van you contemplate is insurable as those big German vans are prime targets for thieves.

Remember to tell the insurer it will be left on a seasonal pitch.

Good luck.

KjellNN replied on 23/08/2021 10:21

Posted on 23/08/2021 10:21

And, unless you will never tow it anywhere, make sure the caravan body length is within what is allowed to be towed in UK by a car or 4x4.

The caravan body length must not be more than  7m  externally.

This does not include the drawbar.

Many larger German vans exceed this length.

Which models are you considering?   If twin axle, they are very likely over the 7m limit.  Places selling these larger vans are unlikely to draw the 7m limit to your attention.

kenexton replied on 23/08/2021 18:10

Posted on 23/08/2021 18:10

Prior to becoming MH ers we owned two Burstner caravans in succession.They were excellent vans in every respect and both towed well,An issue arose in regard to"new for old" cover when Burstner ceased importing their caravans into the UK- shortly after we had purchased our second Burstner,We had to nominate a UK sourced van as a value equivalent for insurance purposes,Obtaining spare parts for a repair of accidental damage was also a consideration which the insurers raised with us.

This was with the CMC insurance brokerage,Something to be aware of when considering the insurance of your potential  German caravan.

We now own a UK made MH -an Autosleeper with which we are content.

replied on 23/08/2021 18:25

Posted on 23/08/2021 18:25

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 23/08/2021 20:23

Posted on 23/08/2021 18:25 by

I have a Hobby but at 7.3m shipping length and 1500kg it's a normal size for touring. I bought it for construction quality over everything  else having spent years getting water ingress fixed under warranty on my lovely design UK van.

Insurance  has been mentioned and I can confirm it's going to be high principally because thieves also know quality brands and target them. 

Posted on 23/08/2021 20:23

Pity the internal equipment has let you down though, twice now I believe? But that can happen on any make.

replied on 23/08/2021 20:40

Posted on 23/08/2021 20:40

Content has been removed.

Cornersteady replied on 23/08/2021 21:10

Posted on 23/08/2021 20:40 by
Content has been removed.

Posted on 23/08/2021 21:10

Really David there is no need to be so rude, I posted quite civilly and it was you that brought those problems to everyone's attention  in the first place.

The OP wanted positive and negative reports and your caravan has sadly had some equipment issues.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook