Tow bar for 2018 Jaguar sportbrake

insignia replied on 13/01/2019 23:00

Posted on 13/01/2019 23:00

i have just bought a 2018 Jaguar XF sportbrake awd and don’t seem to be able to get a Towbar for it, have any other members had a similar experience or have they any suggestions ?.

Moderator Comment - MOved from the Story Section

viatorem replied on 14/01/2019 08:18

Posted on 14/01/2019 08:18

A quick Google - seems you are correct,Witter say they have one in development so it would be worth giving them a call or maybe a Jaguar dealer. 

allanandjean replied on 14/01/2019 09:20

Posted on 14/01/2019 09:20

Hi, my suggestion would be to find a reputable independent supplier/fitter, as suggested above a quick search is not promising.

My experience has been that there are still many things, such as tow bars for your car, that don't look promising-based on internet searches- till you speak to people who actually know about the subject. 

One thing that you should also check is if the car needs to be 'tow bar prepared', as some do, and it is usually something that is carried out during the cars build. 

Milothedog replied on 14/01/2019 09:59

Posted on 13/01/2019 23:00 by insignia

i have just bought a 2018 Jaguar XF sportbrake awd and don’t seem to be able to get a Towbar for it, have any other members had a similar experience or have they any suggestions ?.

Moderator Comment - MOved from the Story Section

Posted on 14/01/2019 09:59

Jaguar list two options if you are will to pay OEM prices.   Tow Bar

lornalou1 replied on 14/01/2019 11:38

Posted on 14/01/2019 10:47 by Milothedog

Just looked it up. Here are prices and details. 

Electric Type

Detachable Type

Not cheap but the prices are "Fitted" and won't affect the cars warranty. 

Posted on 14/01/2019 11:38

just had a look at that Milo and here's a section of it.

The XF Sportbrake bespoke towing system is optimised to work alongside the Trailer Stability Assist traction control system. This system detects when a dangerous trailer sway situation is developing and helps to regain control by gradually reducing speed through cutting engine power and applying the brakes.

I was always told that you decelerate and do not use brakes when a sway is detected. A bit misleading I would say.

Milothedog replied on 14/01/2019 13:39

Posted on 14/01/2019 11:38 by lornalou1

just had a look at that Milo and here's a section of it.

The XF Sportbrake bespoke towing system is optimised to work alongside the Trailer Stability Assist traction control system. This system detects when a dangerous trailer sway situation is developing and helps to regain control by gradually reducing speed through cutting engine power and applying the brakes.

I was always told that you decelerate and do not use brakes when a sway is detected. A bit misleading I would say.

Posted on 14/01/2019 13:39

Stability systems apply braking to individual wheels to recover the situation unlike the driver who can only apply all of them simultaneously. 

I attended a course a few years back run by Knorr-Bremse  about this type of Technology.  Heres a video of it in action.   I'm sure JLR wouldn't use it or make statements that could land them in court after an accident.   

Sorry to the OP for going a little of topic cool

Milothedog replied on 14/01/2019 13:59

Posted on 14/01/2019 13:59

Just an interesting footnote about stability systems. The system fitted on trucks and buses that I used to work on can also be connected to the vehicles telematics and any events that the stability system steps in and recovers, data is sent to the company / transport manger.  So no hiding the fact by the driver that he had a near miss whilst on the road.

Tigi replied on 14/01/2019 19:31

Posted on 14/01/2019 19:31

Give Phil Taylor Towbars in Waterlooville Portsmouth (even if its too far)a ring they have been in business for many years and there isn't much they don`t know about towbars/electrics etc they have always been helpful. See website.

insignia replied on 23/01/2019 19:35

Posted on 23/01/2019 19:35

Thanks everyone for your input

seems as if I will have to get a jaguar tow bar, witter are not even designing one yet

Incidentally the cost is about £1500 which includes fitting and a control unit and rear valance!  The electrically deployable one

is in excess of £2,500 !!

replied on 23/01/2019 19:38

Posted on 23/01/2019 19:38

Dropping cork legged here Insignia!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook