Volkswagen Passat 2.0 tdi 2012

Boonster replied on 18/10/2018 09:17

Posted on 18/10/2018 09:17

Hi all. i have just bought a Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI estate 2012 and would like to know what weight caravan i can tow, i have looked on various web sites but have found them to be a little confusing. I think I need to know what weight caravan I should buy and what the weight for towing should be. Any help with this matter would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Dennis

commeyras replied on 22/10/2018 13:10

Posted on 22/10/2018 13:10

Sorry you have not had a reply yet.  However, if you go onto 'Advice and Training' link above you will find a link to the matching service.  With the info you have given it looks as though your car's kerb weight is 1571 kgs.  The guide is to keep the caravan MPTL (ie the max weight as shown on the plate) to  within 80% of this, so you should be looking for a caravan weighing in the region of 1256 kgs.  The max nose weight on the car hitch looks like 90 kgs - just bear that in mind.

lornalou1 replied on 22/10/2018 16:03

Posted on 22/10/2018 13:10 by commeyras

Sorry you have not had a reply yet.  However, if you go onto 'Advice and Training' link above you will find a link to the matching service.  With the info you have given it looks as though your car's kerb weight is 1571 kgs.  The guide is to keep the caravan MPTL (ie the max weight as shown on the plate) to  within 80% of this, so you should be looking for a caravan weighing in the region of 1256 kgs.  The max nose weight on the car hitch looks like 90 kgs - just bear that in mind.

Posted on 22/10/2018 16:03

Sorry to correct you comeyras, the recommended match is 85% of the vehicles kerb weight but can go to 100% if experienced at towing. Also your license comes into play. If you passed your test after 1997 you are restricted to a total mass of no more than 3500kg ( car and caravan weight added together) unless of coarse you have passed a towing test. you need to look at the V5C and check the cars merbweight or mass in running weight, then work out your 85% match. you don't tell us which variant of passat you have.

flatcoat replied on 23/10/2018 13:12

Posted on 23/10/2018 13:12

The club matching service is often inaccurate so do not waste your time with it. You should either check your V5C for the weight or better still take it to a weighbridge. Remember the 85% is a guide and does not have any legal jurisdiction however if you are a novice to towing a 'van I personally would not go beyond 100%. There is more to a safe and balanced outfit than weight ratio alone. Nose weight, tyre pressures, load distribution and so on also come into play. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook