Towbar: include in factory fit or buy later?

brassyboy replied on 21/08/2018 18:04

Posted on 21/08/2018 18:04

About to order a factory new Mondeo and have the option of having the towbar (detachable) fitted as part of the order. (I believe Ford fit the Westfalia type). Initially this seems a good idea because everything, (dedicated wiring etc) is factory fitted thus minimising disruption to the car. Or should I have it fitted later when in possession. Any opinions please?

Incidently, I am going to buy the car via Autoebid, as promoted by the club.

Thanks.

EmilysDad replied on 21/08/2018 18:12

Posted on 21/08/2018 18:12

it'll probably be a whole lot dearer as a factory fit but at least you know it'll be right ie any extra/upgraded cooling fans will be fitted & won't have any worries if you have a problem later .... just ensure it's wired as you want it. A local towbar place might drill your car to fit his earths like he did on mine 😝

Randomcamper replied on 21/08/2018 18:16

Posted on 21/08/2018 18:16

As MM says I would always go for the factory fit option if there is not too much of a price differential, rather than having a tow bar fitter of an unknown skill level faffing with the electrics and possibly unbolting bumpers & trim etc....

Tinwheeler replied on 21/08/2018 18:24

Posted on 21/08/2018 18:24

Definitely I would opt for factory fitted. Car electrics and electronics are so complicated these days that it’s not worth talking the risk of someone not using the proper rig. There’s a lot more to it than just the ironmongery.

Cornersteady replied on 21/08/2018 19:38

Posted on 21/08/2018 19:38

Agree with all above. We had a factory fitted one and apart from being covered car’s standard warranty (I checked) it also switches off the reversing sensors when towing and probably other clever stuff as well.

Metheven replied on 21/08/2018 20:16

Posted on 21/08/2018 20:16

I don't disagree with the factory fit option (mine is). But a manufacturer spec afterfit on most good vehicles is plug and play, so all options available from a factory fit is also available in the aftermarket, such as switching off sensors, adjusting gearbox changes, indication on dash etc.

Mine is electrically deployable and I dread what might happen if one day it decides not to deploy, I'll have to ask how to overide it if possible or leave it deployed until I arrive back home. Also very handy is the button inside the boot that when pressed cycles through all the lights for two minutes, both car and the caravan when hitched while I walk around the outfit.

Tigi replied on 21/08/2018 20:31

Posted on 21/08/2018 20:31

Factory fit everytime, the onus is on the manufacturer to get the electrics right, the towbar is covered under the vehicles warranty (best to check Fords t&c`s) One other advantage is insurance, technically it is not an extra if factory fitted and is part of the car. Depends on manufacturer as to cost. 

Whatever the make it is wise to specify the 13pin plugs required wiring on the contract of sale to include all pins for the fridge, charger etc plenty of wiring diagrams on internet. Some do not include all wiring for UK vans e.g. BMW (unless they have recently changed)

lornalou1 replied on 21/08/2018 22:56

Posted on 21/08/2018 22:56

Factory fit as said before anything fitted on production line will be covered with the 3 year warranty as independent will only be 1 year.

TomL replied on 21/08/2018 23:35

Posted on 21/08/2018 23:35

There might be a perceived price difference but this fitting could be one of your bargaining tools when you're negotiating the price of the new car.

richardandros replied on 22/08/2018 06:20

Posted on 22/08/2018 06:20

When I bought my new Touareg, the cost of a factory fit tow bar and electrics was £750 and this included an upgraded cooling fan. Dealer retro fit was £1200 plus £850 for the fan upgrade. Downside was a 3 month wait for a car ordered from the factory as opposed to a stock car which would have meant me losing out on the massive discount I was getting at the time. So went for retro fit but did manage to get the fan upgrade FOC. If you can wait, factory fit seems to be the best option.

Boff replied on 22/08/2018 12:47

Posted on 22/08/2018 12:47

I would check the comparative prices and that it really is factory fit not fitted by the dealer.   We recently bought a 2015 Touareg and I couldn’t fine the model I wanted with a FF towbar.  So I opted for a dealer fit and the upgraded Fan.  I can confirm the prices quoted byrichardandros above.  However it turned out VW couldn’t supply the towbar.  So I ended up having a Westfalia fitted by PF Jones in Stoke and Trent 2 days before we left for France. I am impressed with the job that they have done.  It is full coded to the car so reversing sensors are switched off and recognises it has a trailer on the back and it was a couple of £100 pounds cheaper than dealer prices. 

PS I appears that a number of Touaregs with the factory fitted towbar did not have the fan upgrade.  I think VW will fit a fan for free if you push them if you are in that situation. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook