The fear

Chrisjam replied on 04/09/2016 14:45

Posted on 04/09/2016 14:45

Hello, 

I recently bought a Compass Omega caravan and to cut a long story short almost got killed on the way home with it. I discovered the following day that the problem was with the car I was using(not mine) as both rear shock absorbers were shot, causing an almighty snake at 50mph. I have now had a towbar fitted to my own car, a Passat estate, but still I am very nervous when towing and feel every movement of the caravan.

I work for a tool hire company and have been towing almost every day for the last 6 years and never had a problem.

Is this possibly a fault with my driving or caravan?  Or do I need just to man up and get over it Worried

Thanks

birderbilly replied on 04/09/2016 15:18

Posted on 04/09/2016 15:18

You don't mention what weights of your car and caravan are but assuming they are a fair match there are a number of things you can do to try and improve the towing experience.

Probably the most important thing is to not overload the van, you have a big car so put the heavy stuff in the car.  With stuff that does go in the van put it low down and close to the axle.  Have you checked the hitchweight of the van ? try and keep it as high as you can but within the limits of the car (95kg ?).  The Passat Estate manual says that you should inflate tyres to higher pressure when heavily loaded so you may want to try that.

The Passat is a very good tow car but you will always know that you have a van on the back - as you would with any car despite what some will tell you.

tigerfish replied on 04/09/2016 18:05

Posted on 04/09/2016 18:05

The problem with many estate cars, and also some saloons is too great an overhang after the rear axle. That long moment arm tends to breed instability when towing.

My own car, a Mercedes ML has a very short overhang and as a result  is one of the most stable tow cars that I have ever driven, and in nearly 40 years of towing thats quite a few tow cars.  Its not the only consideration when selecting a suitable tow car, but for me it is always an important one!

TF

birderbilly replied on 04/09/2016 18:08

Posted on 04/09/2016 18:08

The Passat Estate has a large overhang.  It has been tow car of the year for 4 in the last 10 years and class winner on multiple occasions.

The Passat Estate is a great tow car.

tigerfish replied on 04/09/2016 18:11

Posted on 04/09/2016 18:11

Birderbilly, I agree that the Passat has a very good record. My comments are of a general nature but borne out of quite a bit of bitter experience - in the early days I agree.

TF

birderbilly replied on 04/09/2016 18:24

Posted on 04/09/2016 18:24

TF - but telling the OP that his car has too long a rear overhang  is frankly neither helpful nor a factor in his issue given the reputation of the Passat Estate and the advice from those of us that actually drive one.  If the OP loads his car and van as descibed above he should have no problems.

paul56 replied on 04/09/2016 19:32

Posted on 04/09/2016 19:32

You don't say what you've been towing at work or what with Chrisjam but high sided caravans with the wrong weight distribution can be a different proposition. Only once been in a minor snake position and it wasn't very nice. 

Once you get the loading/weight/tyre pressures etc sorted it all becomes second nature and you'll barely notice the van is there much of the time. Enjoy your new hobby. 

Hakinbush replied on 05/09/2016 09:12

Posted on 05/09/2016 09:12

On the debate of long or short overhang on vehicles,a big factor is the difference wether front or rear wheel drive, rear would be my choice, cos the more weight on the back much less on the front, and lets be fair when manufacturers design these cars they dont really take towing caravans into the equation...

DavidKlyne replied on 05/09/2016 10:09

Posted on 05/09/2016 10:09

If I understand the OP correctly he towed an empty caravan home from where he purchased it with a car with shot suspension. He may well find that with his car and the caravan loaded correctly that it "feels" much more comfortable to tow. I would suggest that before going away in it for the first time he has a trial run which may well reassure him that towing a caravan is not as bad as he fears.

David

ocsid replied on 05/09/2016 10:52

Posted on 05/09/2016 10:52

If I understand the OP correctly he towed an empty caravan home from where he purchased it with a car with shot suspension.

David

That situation, certainly has the potential for the noseweight to be too low with serious stability problems as a result.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook