Supermarket fuel

crannman replied on 21/12/2015 15:29

Posted on 21/12/2015 15:29

so car been playing up went into limp mode nothing showing on dash took it into garage pluged into the gizmos ......nothing two days later down on power again nothing .....car is a octavia 2010 allways serviced at skoda garage talking to AA patrol man that lives near me he said over last few month been to alot of cars with similar problems he asked me where do i fuel up .....morrisons 'Adsa i said . try a shell or esso garage AA man told me .so i have problem solved anyone else had the same problems

kenexton replied on 21/12/2015 15:42

Posted on 21/12/2015 15:42

Don't know about supermarket fuel etc but I did once have an intermittent problem which came on just after a main dealer service on a previous diesel vehicle.Diagnostic checks etc came up clean-after a lot of expense at the garage trying to trace the fault no result.Then by fluke a mechanic took off the fuel inlet pipe and looked into the filter inlet to find that tiny piece of plastic from the moulding process had not been removed  at manufacture and it was acting as a non-return valve cutting/restricting the fuel supply intermittently and unpredictably;never would have thought of that one!

Metheven replied on 21/12/2015 15:43

Posted on 21/12/2015 15:43

Been talked about on many previous threads with divided opinion but no, never had a problem and I use both having done the same for many years. Unless the garage tank has become contaminated either by water/muck getting into their tank or delivery contamination then there won't be a problem, basic fuel comes from  the same refinery refined to a specification, with premium brands adding their own additives to the delivery tanker during filling.

crannman replied on 21/12/2015 16:11

Posted on 21/12/2015 16:11

yes i herd the story of dodgy fuel too im a hgv driver was talking to a tanker driver he said load of ........it all come from the same tank .but since i changed to useing other garages no more problems

JVB66 replied on 21/12/2015 16:17

Posted on 21/12/2015 16:17

There is/was a fuel distribution depot near Penistone south yorks and when I drove past there most days, for years,there would be tankers from all the fuel companiesl/supermarkets filling up at the loading points

kenexton replied on 21/12/2015 16:25

Posted on 21/12/2015 16:25

There is/was a fuel distribution depot near Penistone south yorks and when I drove past there most days, for years,there would be tankers from all the fuel companiesl/supermarkets filling up at the loading points

Write your comments here...JVB is correct-it is the former Conoco depot between Oxspring and Thurgoland.Tankers from supermarkets and major fuel retailers are regular visitors to the depot.It was  originally used during WW2 to house fuel in the landscaped and  grass camouflaged bunkers which are stepped into the hillside outside Penistone.

JohnM20 replied on 21/12/2015 16:26

Posted on 21/12/2015 16:26

Judging by the number of cars I see at my local Esso or BP fuel stations and comparing with the numbers that I see at the supermarket fuel stations it leads me to conclude that if there was a problem with supermarket fuel probably three quarters or more of the driving public would be running the risk of an engine problem. The supermarkets would be the first to jump on the refineries if there was even the slightest suspicion that there may be an issue with the fuel supplied to them. They have far too much to lose to allow anything like that to happen. I personally don't know of anyone that has had any problems so I must conclude that it is pure chance that a problem has arisen with the tiny number that have had a problem and that the generic source of fuel,  supermarket vs non-supermarket supplier, was not relevant. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook