Stability towing Lunar Delta r i

suzieq replied on 07/10/2018 17:09

Posted on 07/10/2018 17:09

Sorry if anyone has seen this post in other parts, but relatively new to the pc.  Anyone out there tow with a lunar delta r.i?  Weve a kia sorento 2.5, both times on m56 and m6 travelling have experienced severe snaking and unstabled van!!!  Now wondering if its the van with transverse bed layout being the issue, or is it the car???  Had car checked and serviced and passed a mot, but still having stability problems it starts at 49 mph.  Told dealer and it is booked in for its 1st service and check over but not till mid nov!!!  Weve had many twin axles before as been caravanning for over 30 years, never had issues with any towing before.  The hubby is an HGV driver so he knows when something is not right and we both are stressing over it all,  .  Do we have to change the car?  Does anybody have same outfit , to compare?

Simon100 replied on 07/10/2018 21:37

Posted on 07/10/2018 21:37

I don't have an RI but tow a Delta TS with my 2015 Sorento diesel. It tows very well and is stable in all situations.

Does your car have self leveling suspension? There are comments on line that Sorento without SLS are not particularly good towers.

I have found the Delta to be nose heavy so have few items in the front locker apart from the gas bottle. 

suzieq replied on 08/10/2018 13:11

Posted on 08/10/2018 13:11

Hiya, no I don't think the sorento has self levelling suspension!  When we had the elddis super cyclone it was fine with the sorento with towing.  We purchased a nose weight gage and we realised with the Delta how little can go into the front locker!!!  Where would you suggest putting the awning whilst travelling?  Its awkward over the axles due to the bathroom being in the centre of the van and having a doorway across middle. The car has to be able to put 2 dogs in, so unfortunately hardly any room for the awning. (air awning so no heavy poles).  I love the layout and inside works well for us, but the towing is dreaded!!  Gonna see what dealer says in November, then take it from there.  Sleepless nights ahead,probably have to change the car!!!                         Thanks for the responses guys

dave the rave replied on 08/10/2018 14:23

Posted on 08/10/2018 13:11 by suzieq

Hiya, no I don't think the sorento has self levelling suspension!  When we had the elddis super cyclone it was fine with the sorento with towing.  We purchased a nose weight gage and we realised with the Delta how little can go into the front locker!!!  Where would you suggest putting the awning whilst travelling?  Its awkward over the axles due to the bathroom being in the centre of the van and having a doorway across middle. The car has to be able to put 2 dogs in, so unfortunately hardly any room for the awning. (air awning so no heavy poles).  I love the layout and inside works well for us, but the towing is dreaded!!  Gonna see what dealer says in November, then take it from there.  Sleepless nights ahead,probably have to change the car!!!                         Thanks for the responses guys

Posted on 08/10/2018 14:23

If the Sorento has not got self levelling a pair of heavy duty rear springs such as those available from mad will be a lot cheaper than changing the car!I have used mad springs on a 2010 Sorento and they made a lot of difference.

redface replied on 08/10/2018 19:36

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:36

Have you adjusted the tyre pressures of the Sorento for towing? and checked that van wheel pressures are up to the mark?

richardandros replied on 15/10/2018 07:06

Posted on 08/10/2018 13:11 by suzieq

Posted on 15/10/2018 07:06

Given my experience at the weigh-bridge recently, with a TA Barcelona, I would very much surprised if you had sufficient payload capacity to carry the awning anywhere in the van!

lornalou1 replied on 15/10/2018 11:34

Posted on 15/10/2018 07:06 by richardandros

Given my experience at the weigh-bridge recently, with a TA Barcelona, I would very much surprised if you had sufficient payload capacity to carry the awning anywhere in the van!

Posted on 15/10/2018 11:34

unless he's had a weight plate upgrade, so could give him another 100kg ( approx. ) wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook