Skoda kodiak

biggsy replied on 07/10/2018 19:05

Posted on 07/10/2018 19:05

I wonder does any one tow with this and can say if it is a good car.I know they have tested on tow car awards but wanted a members view.I tow with a Honda 160 bhp.

5vanfan replied on 26/11/2018 16:21

Posted on 26/11/2018 16:21

I have owned a kodiaq diesel for over a year now. I was dubious about moving from a Kia sorrento. I have to say I have nothing but praise for it. The build quality is awesome. I hasn’t missed a beat and the fuel economy is good. I tow a Coachman pastiche 520/4.

If you are considering a Kodiaq I would not hesitate.

flatcoat replied on 27/11/2018 21:00

Posted on 27/11/2018 21:00

Lornalou, you are misinformed and suggest you try a DSG equipped tow car. The DSG on my Passat has no bearing at all on the tow bar weight limit (I assume you mean nose weight) and neither does it have any bearing on the towing capacity of the car and matches the manual kilo for kilo. A Kodiaq with DSG I am reliably informed makes an excellent tow car, as does it’s close cousins the Tiguan Allspace and new Seat SUV. 

However as with all new cars it takes time for reasonable numbers to enter the ownership of caravanners who also frequent this forum. I suggest the OP also tries a Skoda forum for feedback?

viatorem replied on 28/11/2018 10:12

Posted on 28/11/2018 10:12

The OP does not specifically state the intention of towing with an auto.

lornalou1 replied on 28/11/2018 11:58

Posted on 27/11/2018 21:00 by flatcoat

Lornalou, you are misinformed and suggest you try a DSG equipped tow car. The DSG on my Passat has no bearing at all on the tow bar weight limit (I assume you mean nose weight) and neither does it have any bearing on the towing capacity of the car and matches the manual kilo for kilo. A Kodiaq with DSG I am reliably informed makes an excellent tow car, as does it’s close cousins the Tiguan Allspace and new Seat SUV. 

However as with all new cars it takes time for reasonable numbers to enter the ownership of caravanners who also frequent this forum. I suggest the OP also tries a Skoda forum for feedback?

Posted on 28/11/2018 11:58

flatcoat-

1-how do you know I haven't tried a DSG gearbox

2-I didn't say the gearbox has a bearing on the noseweight as in general the limit is low.

3-who said the DSG gearbox had a bearing on the towing capacity of the vehicle.

4-looking at your reply you haven't got one or tried one as you say "reliably informed"

looking at many reviews over the years the dsg gearbox has not been very reliable and even fords are changing to TC auto's in the near future.

biggsy replied on 29/11/2018 07:58

Posted on 26/11/2018 16:21 by 5vanfan

I have owned a kodiaq diesel for over a year now. I was dubious about moving from a Kia sorrento. I have to say I have nothing but praise for it. The build quality is awesome. I hasn’t missed a beat and the fuel economy is good. I tow a Coachman pastiche 520/4.

If you are considering a Kodiaq I would not hesitate.

Posted on 29/11/2018 07:58

Thank you for that

xtrailman replied on 29/11/2018 10:16

Posted on 29/11/2018 10:16

I test drove a Kodiak , and found the ride too wallowy for my taste when pushed, wife was complaining of car sickness, and she didn't like the dash or cheap looking plastic front grill .

NW is 100kg for a 5 seat version, 80kg for the 7.

We ended up ordering a 190ps dsg awd Tiguan SWB instead.

If you check out PC mag videos of their caravan tow tests they also say the Tig is better in wind for towing than the Kodiak.

H1UBS replied on 03/02/2019 19:46

Posted on 03/02/2019 19:46

Have owned a Kodiaq 2.0 TDi 190 DSG 5 Seat since Sept 17.

Towed our Compass Rallye around UK and Europe 3k + miles.

Can't compare with other SUV's as we've towed with Octavias previously but can't rate it highly enough !

An all round excellent tow car in all respects .. 5*s from this 'vanner!

Vulcan replied on 03/02/2019 21:37

Posted on 03/02/2019 21:37

Having both a TC and a DSG, although DSG's have come on a long way recently the biggest failing of the DSG is lack of smoothness when low speed manoeuvring especially important when reversing the caravan, not a patch on TC gearbox.

xtrailman replied on 04/02/2019 09:31

Posted on 04/02/2019 09:31

I now have a Tiguan DSG previously a TC CX-5.

The one and only negative I've found is a DSG won't hold on a slope with no brakes unlike the TC box, so I have started to use auto hold.

Low speed smoothness  seems no different to the TC to me.

What I really like about the DSG is the ease that I can use sport or the paddle change.

Long term negative would be service costs at 40K miles I believe, but I don't keep cars that long so not an issue.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook