Removable tow bar

Sharpey replied on 10/04/2019 07:55

Posted on 10/04/2019 07:55

Hi all, since new my removable tow bar on my XC60 has had  a small amount of play in it , on speaking to another XC60 owner about his tow bar lock I noticed his tow bar had no play in it whatsoever.  Does anyone else had a similar tow bar and is there any movement in it. Thanks Alan

bill replied on 10/04/2019 09:12

Posted on 10/04/2019 09:12

Alan, I have recently bought an XC60 with removable towball already fitted and I can't find any movement in it.  Mind you I can't remove it either as I wasn't supplied a key with it.  I went to a towbar installer and ordered a couple of keys which I have to pick up this morning.

As an aside the car was fitted with Volvo 13 pin electrics which have passed the MOT but the AlKo ATC only works when the ignition is on.  All wiring instructions say that pin 9 for the ATC should be a direct positive feed !  I have put this point on 2 caravan forums and a Volvo forum and have had a mixed reaction.  I had it checked out by the company who are supply my keys and they merely said that it is a genuine Volvo towbar and electrical wiring kit so it must be OK !

Bill

Sharpey replied on 10/04/2019 09:53

Posted on 10/04/2019 09:53

HI Bill, the lad was talking to had no keys for his towbar either and no movement. My ATC works when the ignition is off, sometimes I have left it on overnight to clear the log of the ATC when a solid red light stays on. I might run down the Volvo dealers to get the towbar checked out. Thanks Alan.

macwomble replied on 10/04/2019 11:33

Posted on 10/04/2019 11:33

I've an aftermarket removeable towbar (Westfalia) fitted....solid as a rock when fitted.

My Alko ATC works/sets as soon as I plug in (ignition off).

lornalou1 replied on 10/04/2019 11:46

Posted on 10/04/2019 11:33 by macwomble

I've an aftermarket removeable towbar (Westfalia) fitted....solid as a rock when fitted.

My Alko ATC works/sets as soon as I plug in (ignition off).

Posted on 10/04/2019 11:46

+1

bill replied on 10/04/2019 14:12

Posted on 10/04/2019 14:12

Alan - Further to my original post earlier.  I went to pick my towball keys up this morning and the guy offered to check that they were OK.  Had a major problem getting the towball out and ended up having the receptor cleaned out and the towball unit lubricated and now fits perfectly but does move a little when in.  The engineer explained that this was wear and quite usual and perfectly safe.  So the only reason mine wasn't moving original was because of corrosion !

Metheven replied on 10/04/2019 14:56

Posted on 10/04/2019 14:56

I had a Witter detachable on a previous car, after a few months of towing came the eventual sound inside of the car of clunking over pitching roads, Witter replaced the whole towbar under warranty, it was loose when manually pulled up/pushed down by hand.

Happened again a few months later and this time I went for a non detachable swan neck, warranty again, job done and cured. Witter blamed a bad batch, saying there should be no play at all but it was never in danger of detaching itself. 

Tigi replied on 10/04/2019 19:21

Posted on 10/04/2019 09:12 by bill

Alan, I have recently bought an XC60 with removable towball already fitted and I can't find any movement in it.  Mind you I can't remove it either as I wasn't supplied a key with it.  I went to a towbar installer and ordered a couple of keys which I have to pick up this morning.

As an aside the car was fitted with Volvo 13 pin electrics which have passed the MOT but the AlKo ATC only works when the ignition is on.  All wiring instructions say that pin 9 for the ATC should be a direct positive feed !  I have put this point on 2 caravan forums and a Volvo forum and have had a mixed reaction.  I had it checked out by the company who are supply my keys and they merely said that it is a genuine Volvo towbar and electrical wiring kit so it must be OK !

Bill

Posted on 10/04/2019 19:21

I have a recent XC60 and my ATC takes 20-30secs to fire up after having plugged in which is normal according to the Volvo Forum.

bill replied on 10/04/2019 20:02

Posted on 10/04/2019 20:02

Be careful what you do with your towball keys I just paid £34 for 2 replacements !!  

The engineer thought that the towball on my XC60 had never been removed since it was fitted (4 years ?) and it was the corrosion making it feel rock steady until it was cleaned and lubricated.  Had the 13 pin wiring checked while I was there and told all in line with Volvo requirements.  I know the 13 pin socket is now part of the MOT but not sure if it only covers road lights or whether it includes ATC and the split charge relay for battery and fridge.

lagerorwine replied on 11/04/2019 21:13

Posted on 11/04/2019 21:13

My 2017 Tiguan towbar and electrics (factory fit) takes several seconds before ATC starts 'whirring' (engine not running). I believe its something to do with the electronics associated with the battery

MLJ replied on 13/04/2019 17:31

Posted on 13/04/2019 17:31

Recently purchased a 2016 XC60, Volvo dealer fitted detachable towbar a s part of the deal, solid as a rock no movement whatsoever. ALKO ATC connects whenever 13 pin plug is connected,ignition on or off

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook