Peugeot 5008 or Hyundai Tucson?

Dr Nigel replied on 12/03/2019 11:18

Posted on 12/03/2019 11:18

After 3 years of leasing my Hyundai Tucson it's time to change the car to pull my 1100kg pop up caravan for continental touring.  I'm looking at a maximum of a 1600 diesel engine.

Due to the ever increasing price of Diesel, coupled with the need to be able to store more in the car rather than the caravan I've shortlisted the new style Peugeot 5008 or to stick with the slightly thirsty Tucson range.

My fist tow car was a Renault Megane which I found was simply not heavy enough to be stable in crosswinds and with big lorries overtaking it tended to be all over the place..and I'm a little worried that the Peugeot might be the same.

Any thoughts?

lornalou1 replied on 12/03/2019 11:29

Posted on 12/03/2019 11:29

I would guess that a 1.6 when towing would be quite thirsty as foot to floor to pull up hills and away from lights. Why not the 2l Tucson as less effort needed and probably give a better fuel consumption as less effort on the engine. This is only my opinion and many will disagree especially the 1.6 owners.  

Dr Nigel replied on 12/03/2019 11:36

Posted on 12/03/2019 11:36

Thank you for your comments..

At least for 70% of the time I won't have a caravan on the back, I was looking for something a bit leaner.  On the other hand...we are planning to tour Europe as far as Greece next year, so your comments are valid.

At the moment, for my 1.6l engine I'm getting around 33mpg when towing and 38mpg urban when I'm not.

Tinwheeler replied on 12/03/2019 11:53

Posted on 12/03/2019 11:53

Often a 2L engine will be more economic than a smaller version because, in layman’s terms, it doesn’t have to work so hard. The 1.6 wouldn’t be my choice but, ultimately, it’s up to you. 

Wildwood replied on 12/03/2019 15:23

Posted on 12/03/2019 15:23

As you say the majority of your time is driving solo so the towed consumption is possibly not your top priority. Given you are towing a lightweight pop top then wind resistance is far less of a problem for you than those of us with full size models. Given the low weight and low height I would have thought either 1500 model would work reasonably well.

Again you have to refer back to the fact you will drive mostly solo so whichever suits you daily needs best might be the best way to judge.

The Peugeot did get a favourable review as a tow car with a bigger engine so I would not rule that out on towing stability as it does appear to have the weight needed for stable towing.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook