Mercedes E class 220cdi sport convertible/coupe

replied on 09/01/2019 18:05

Posted on 09/01/2019 18:05

Does anybody have one or has had one or the coupe version for that matter ? I know they are not your normal everyday tow car but we have always liked them especially the soft top version and i'm wondering your thoughts please, I've matched it with our van and there's no problems there, we are looking at a 2013 model not a new one.

replied on 10/01/2019 15:31

Posted on 10/01/2019 14:15 by lornalou1

why not get the convertible and book statics wherever you go. sell caravan and get a newer merc. wink

Posted on 10/01/2019 15:31

I don't think she'll be up for that smile

Footos replied on 14/01/2019 19:15

Posted on 14/01/2019 19:15

Generally with convertibles be them hard or soft tops, roof up = small boot, roof down = tiny boot. If you pack uber light that is no problem. But remember the safety advice of making the car as heavy as possible and the van as light as possible by loading heavy stuff in the car as much as possible and you might start to struggle. Try https://towcar.info/GB/ and see if anybody has towed with your particular outfit. For fun I put my wifes car in as the tug and my van lightly loaded as the trailer. The result was yes, it is legal. BUT for the love of God - don't!! A lot of people tow with boring boxy cars, both 4wd and 2wd, and that's for a boring reason - they are practical and do the job. For the same reason a 4x4 suv is a poor choice for a track day, a car with a tiny boot may well be a poor choice for a practical tow car. But if it suits you, put up with the compromises and go for it!!

NutsyH replied on 16/01/2019 15:01

Posted on 16/01/2019 15:01

Careful!

Some convertibles are not type approved for towing, or have a very low towbar/towing limit.

Check before you buy.

paul56 replied on 16/01/2019 15:57

Posted on 16/01/2019 15:57

Somewhat off piste but have you considered two cars?

We tow the van all over the UK and Europe with a Ford Kuga but as a second car, which has been as far south as Rome and as far west as La Rochelle using cottages, gites and hotels as a base in a Mercedes SLK. We bought it used with 31 k on the clock for very little money. My only gripe is the road tax at £300 grrr! It is brilliant to get off the ferry/Eurotunnel, press a button and down comes the roof and away we go. 

I still get a buzz out of driving it! 

replied on 18/01/2019 15:18

Posted on 16/01/2019 15:01 by NutsyH

Careful!

Some convertibles are not type approved for towing, or have a very low towbar/towing limit.

Check before you buy.

Posted on 18/01/2019 15:18

Checked on our own CC site here and it's given it a good match so I can only assume it's ok.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook