Korando Petrol 2 litre LE

peatman replied on 09/03/2019 11:25

Posted on 09/03/2019 11:25

We are in the process of looking at a Korando. The dealer has offered us both the 2.2d 2 wheel LE and the 2 litre petrol LE at quite reasonable cost. We have at present a 2.6 petrol Santa Fe auto which does 19 per gallon on a good day.

Question is which version to go for. We drag a Bailey Pegasus 534 around MTPLM1482 MRO 1266. Wife is concerned that diesel is going to taxed out of control and I am concerned that the petrol will be under powered.

Views please.

Thanks peatman

reynoray replied on 09/03/2019 12:55

Posted on 09/03/2019 12:55

Our 2.2 LE 2 wd diesel will be 3 years old in July.

We tow 1350kg and have done two tours of France / Switzerland / Germany and several Cheshire - south coast tours.

It's never been back to the dealer other than for servicing and performs brilliantly. Performance on the road is well above adequate.

MPG solo is 42 'ish depending on the usual things. Towing is 27 - 29 dropping below this when I find myself doing 70 on the French motorways.

Can't say how diesel owners will be punished in the future but for now as long as I'm towing I would go for the Koran every time.

flatcoat replied on 09/03/2019 16:06

Posted on 09/03/2019 16:06

If - and it is a big if - there are any ‘anti’ diesel moves it will be generally against older EU5/4 engined cars than the latest EU6 compliant engines which in some instances are cleaner than petrol..... I would personally not touch petrol for towing, you will lack power and economy will be be poor especially towing. However in my view the bigger factor to consider is the (just launched at Geneva motor show) completely new Korando which will be on sale before the end of the year. I would personally wait for that. 

reynoray replied on 10/03/2019 10:12

Posted on 09/03/2019 16:06 by flatcoat

If - and it is a big if - there are any ‘anti’ diesel moves it will be generally against older EU5/4 engined cars than the latest EU6 compliant engines which in some instances are cleaner than petrol..... I would personally not touch petrol for towing, you will lack power and economy will be be poor especially towing. However in my view the bigger factor to consider is the (just launched at Geneva motor show) completely new Korando which will be on sale before the end of the year. I would personally wait for that. 

Posted on 10/03/2019 10:12

I have been looking forward to seeing the new Korando and indeed it looks brilliant on the Youtube Video from Geneva. Unfortunately they plan only 1.5 petrol and 1.6 diesel (plus electric).  The Ssangyong dealer told me about this last summer and said that the UK dealers had been lobbying the manufacturer to retain a caravan towing engine but they were not listening. It sounds like they have built their reputation by making a good tow car (and marketed it that way) but now they want to go mainstream with what I'm sure will be an excellent product.  Not good news for us towers frown.

reynoray replied on 10/03/2019 10:35

Posted on 10/03/2019 10:35

It seems that contrary to what I said in my previous post Ssangyong are claiming that the 1.6 diesel will still pull up to 2 tonnes the same as the previous 2.2 diesel. BHP will be 134 as opposed to the 174 previously.  I think the dealers feel that the tow car buyers of the UK will take some convincing that a 1.6 will do the job.

twocals replied on 10/03/2019 19:51

Posted on 10/03/2019 19:51

Good point reynoray ,two ton with the auto box.

Also the cost with all the extra spec, now maybe the time to buy the old stock at a really good price in what model you wish.Rextons were given away once the new model appeared.

peatman replied on 15/03/2019 10:57

Posted on 15/03/2019 10:57

Thanks to all of you that posted replies.

My worry is that if I follow the path to a 2 litre petrol auto thus having no dpf and extra fuel costs will it be very underpowered. The club matching system says it will be ok but gives 41 per ton whereas the diesel is over 50 per ton.

The other thing is that they have stopped making petrol engines. I cant find any comparision figures for the 2 litre petrol or reviews for towing.

Again thanks for the input.

Peatman.

peatman replied on 24/03/2019 16:42

Posted on 24/03/2019 16:42

Again thanks to yo for suggestions and comments.

We went to buy a new door mat from Raymond James in Atherstone. It came attached to a Coachman Olympia 450. 

Reinforced my views on the Korando and we are off to Stoke to test drive an auto L E. 

Thanks again.

peatman.

DS3 replied on 25/03/2019 05:34

Posted on 25/03/2019 05:34

If you want a Ssangyong tow car, buy a Rexton, either the W or the newer version if you can afford it. I guess they are making their smaller cars more non caravan friendly while keeping their bigger cars for towing. Makes some sense I suppose and with ever increasing emissions laws being forced upon us, it is likely that caravanning will eventually end sooner, rather than later.

I do know one thing. Our Rexton W is an awesome tow car, and in 41,000 miles, only one temperature sensor has gone wrong. That makes this Ssangyong even more reliable than the Volvo's I usually buy.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook