Kia Sorento Spare wheel 'borrowed'

Trini replied on 22/05/2017 11:52

Posted on 22/05/2017 11:52

Just a heads up to any one thinking of buying or owning a Sorento.

I went out to check the air pressure before heading away next week only to find the spare missing with the carrier cable 'cut'.

Having looked on the Kia owners forum it seems this has been happening since 2014 without Kia taking steps to rectify the design fault exploited by the thieves.

I priced up replacement parts : Wheel £250. New carrier £160 & new tyre £110 all plus Vat.

I found the parts (used) on line for £300, altho not new at least serviceable.

Hyundai sell a locking kit that fits the carrier and makes the wheel safe. (£150).

I do wish the dealer had mentioned the vulnerability of the spare when I would have gladly spent the extra to keep it safe (r).

paul dale replied on 22/05/2017 19:37

Posted on 22/05/2017 19:37

Hi Trini

I have one of these on my Santa Fe (similar set-up ).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kia-Sorrento-Spare-Wheel-Anti-Theft-Locking-Device-/162515350008?hash=item25d6ab71f8:g:M5YAAOSwj25Y8G7o

They make them for various cars with the spare slung underneath. It works by denying the thief access to the winch mechanism, the clamp at  the end of the winch is enclosed within the steel box section,  thereby making it impossible to cut the clamp off the end of the cable.

I had it fitted to my previous Santa Fe and I just transferred it over to my new car. The box section does not protrude as it is contained with the depth of the spare wheel.

Trini replied on 23/05/2017 12:00

Posted on 23/05/2017 12:00

Thanks Paul I have one on order along with the cable assembly.

Ebay saved me over a couple of hundred quid.

I will also fit an extra cable clamp to the end as I read that thieves can also using a lever, pry the wheel and cause the end to give way.

Until the parts arrive the spare will be in the boot for now!

KeepsakeKia replied on 27/03/2019 13:46

Posted on 27/03/2019 13:46

How does the part fit the spare wheel as theres no instructions with the thing itself? Also does it fit 18 inch wheels (like I have!) ?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook