Kia Sorento KX2 auto 2016, caravan unsteady.

replied on 17/04/2018 15:36

Posted on 17/04/2018 15:36

I have recently changed my tow car to the above having had a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 for 10 years that towed like a dream, never any problems with three different caravans.

Since changing to the Kia I find that the rear of my Swift Challenger 584 my 2014 is swaying about on the motorway at 50 plus mph, I have tried replacing the friction pads in the tow hitch that has not changed anything. I have always carried all heavy gear awning etc in the car but going to try it over the axle in the van.

Just wondered had anyone else had similar problems and if so how did you resolve them.

replied on 16/09/2018 17:37

Posted on 16/09/2018 17:37

Thanks for all your useful replies, the good news is that I have solved the problem. It was all down to the cheap tyres that were fitted to the rear by the dealer when we purchased the car. We swapped the rear new tyres to the front and fitted the part worn Nexus tyres to the rear, job sorted as steady as a rock. So will wear out all four tyres and replace with good quality tyres proberbly Nexus or Kumho. Big thanks to all that took the time to respond.

EmilysDad replied on 16/09/2018 23:18

Posted on 16/09/2018 23:10 by lornalou1

i don't think it's advisable to fit new to front and put part worn on the rear.

Posted on 16/09/2018 23:18

Michelin et al do advise new tyres to the rear ...

suzieq replied on 05/10/2018 13:03

Posted on 05/10/2018 13:03

just read your post!  We to are questioning is it the car or caravan!  Up until nov 17 we had a super cyclone elddis twin axle, the kia sorento pulled it with no issues, due to damp issues all the time we changed the van in nov 17 to the lunar delta r i, weve only used van 4 times since new due to family commintments this year, but on two occassions used motorway to get to sight, anf a fearful and dreaded journey for both times, swaying even at 49 mph.  A car sped by us and we were travelling at 53mph, we were swaying all over the place!!   30 years experience of towing single and twin axle vans, never before have we been so anxious on taking the van out, weve booked it in to get checked out but not till mid nov!!  Weve got a feeling they wil say nothing wrong! So weve then got to decide what we are going to do.  Could it be the car?

replied on 05/10/2018 13:26

Posted on 16/09/2018 23:10 by lornalou1

i don't think it's advisable to fit new to front and put part worn on the rear.

Posted on 05/10/2018 13:26

Maybe not but many of us do so.

searle replied on 14/10/2018 23:49

Posted on 17/04/2018 15:36 by

I have recently changed my tow car to the above having had a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 for 10 years that towed like a dream, never any problems with three different caravans.

Since changing to the Kia I find that the rear of my Swift Challenger 584 my 2014 is swaying about on the motorway at 50 plus mph, I have tried replacing the friction pads in the tow hitch that has not changed anything. I have always carried all heavy gear awning etc in the car but going to try it over the axle in the van.

Just wondered had anyone else had similar problems and if so how did you resolve them.

Posted on 14/10/2018 23:49

I have the same problem with my 65 plate Sorento the caravan is all over the place i did have 2 mid range tyres put on the car after we bought it i wonder if its the tyres 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook