Help on caravan and car compatability

Bowlerbob replied on 14/05/2019 18:32

Posted on 14/05/2019 18:32

I am very interested in taking up Caravaning and have selected a Twin axle Lunar as my preferred choice. However, I am unable to find a suitabley sized SUV that meets with the Club's advice on the 85% weight ration plus the required BHP.

Is there a kind member out there who could check this out for me - because I am not a member I am unable to use the Club's website to determine a suitable vehicle but what comes first - the chicken or the egg.  Obviously I am not going to fork out for the membership fee until I know that I can afford the recommended vehicle and definitely want to go ahead.

PJMEG replied on 15/05/2019 12:34

Posted on 15/05/2019 12:34

Hi,

Before i am able to offer any help the exact detail is required about the van, ie model and year also the MTPLM this would then allow a more accurate choice of tow vehicle to be given.

PJMEG.

Cornersteady replied on 15/05/2019 15:29

Posted on 15/05/2019 15:29

yes, a quick look shows anywhere they are from 1515 to 1725 kg, but at the heaviest weight you would be looking at a car at about 2000kg. A Kia Sorrento at 1950 kg might be fine?

The 85% is only a guideline but as a new tower perhaps a good one to follow. A dealer will also check your match as well for free and there are free matching services on the interweb. Google it

Why a twin axle? 

replied on 15/05/2019 16:07

Posted on 14/05/2019 18:32 by Bowlerbob

I am very interested in taking up Caravaning and have selected a Twin axle Lunar as my preferred choice. However, I am unable to find a suitabley sized SUV that meets with the Club's advice on the 85% weight ration plus the required BHP.

Is there a kind member out there who could check this out for me - because I am not a member I am unable to use the Club's website to determine a suitable vehicle but what comes first - the chicken or the egg.  Obviously I am not going to fork out for the membership fee until I know that I can afford the recommended vehicle and definitely want to go ahead.

Posted on 15/05/2019 16:07

I have no faith in CC tow match. Try this one

https://towcar.info/GB/

Simon100 replied on 15/05/2019 19:44

Posted on 15/05/2019 19:44

KIA Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe or similar would be your best choice. If going for an older Sorento get one with self leveling suspension.

Ssanyong  Rexton's have a good reputation but can be a bit agricultural if going for anything less than the current model. Think KIA 10 years ago.

Bowlerbob replied on 17/05/2019 11:55

Posted on 15/05/2019 15:29 by Cornersteady

yes, a quick look shows anywhere they are from 1515 to 1725 kg, but at the heaviest weight you would be looking at a car at about 2000kg. A Kia Sorrento at 1950 kg might be fine?

The 85% is only a guideline but as a new tower perhaps a good one to follow. A dealer will also check your match as well for free and there are free matching services on the interweb. Google it

Why a twin axle? 

Posted on 17/05/2019 11:55

Thanks for that. I had looked at the Sorento but reluctant to spend out on a diesel as I believe that with the ever increasing concerns about polution created by diesel cars that the Goverment and local authorities will end up hammering us with more taxes and possible bans from entering city centres.

replied on 17/05/2019 17:40

Posted on 17/05/2019 16:48 by m0rrisman

Not sure I agree with you Easy as my van (alpine 4 is not listed )

Posted on 17/05/2019 17:40

In many ways I do not consider that a major problem. The characteristic of the caravan that are important are its MPTLM. If the model that you have is not available it is relatively easy to choose a model with the right MPTLM to carry out a comparison. It is also possible to increase the weight of the caravan to account for a weight upgrade. The much more difficult thing to find is the weight of the tow car and what the comparison site includes. 

For the CC check site it advises that my cars 'kerbweight' is 1515kg and the match with my Lunar CLubman is 96% weightwise when compared to MPTLM of 1450kg. The car weight being given as 1515kg. No indication of how this weight is calculated. 

For Towcar.info the result is initially 80% based on a used payload of 150kg. If I go down the bottom of the page and increase the payload to its full available amount to reach 1450kg I get a ratio of 81%. The site will tell me that my car weighs 1700 kg and that it has assumed a 50kg load in the car. If I enquire further it tells me that the weight for the car is based on the car plus 90% full tank and a 75kg allowance for driver and his bits and pieces. I can then adjust to give my actual increased full MPTLM usage based on a weight upgrade. I can add the weight of partner etc as if I tow laden caravan it is with partner. The result is then a ratio of 81% still.

I weighed my car with a full tank. Made adjustments of 75kg added for driver and deduction of 10% of fuel weight and I get a figure of 1719kg. Pretty close to Towcar's 1700kg but then I had a towbar fitted at the time.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook