Fixed tow ball and rear sensors

LeTouriste replied on 24/07/2018 16:53

Posted on 24/07/2018 16:53

After two vehicles with detachable tow balls, changing vehicle again I decided to revert to a fixed tow ball.  But, for the first time I will have sensors front and rear, and it is the rear sensors that concern me.   Fitting is under way at the dealership, and I am now learning that the tow ball might upset the functioning of the rear sensors.  Talking to a few owners with sensors and a tow ball, I have received various views; from 'change back to detachable' (not practical at this late stage) through 'special washers can be fitted to change the angle of the appropriate sensors so they don't detect the tow ball' to 'disconnect the sensors nearest to the tow ball' to 'didn't make any difference' to 'with mine, the fitter let it bleep for about ten seconds, and then the sensors reconfigured themselves to accommodate the tow ball'.

The special washers idea sounds practical, I don't want to disable any of the sensors, and the last (really possible?) comment is the most appealing if true.

Cornersteady replied on 24/07/2018 17:20

Posted on 24/07/2018 17:20

I did read on here that one car dealer somehow managed to alter the distance that the sensors would start beeping? That is to beyond the length of the tow ball. Sorry but can't remember who wrote it or what car it was.

moulesy replied on 24/07/2018 17:38

Posted on 24/07/2018 17:38

What make/model of car do you have? On our Peugeot with a fixed towball the rear sensors are disabled only when the caravan is connected but function perfectly well otherwise. I've never considered having any modifications done.

eurortraveller replied on 24/07/2018 17:50

Posted on 24/07/2018 17:50

Land Rover dealer said to me that he no longer contracts out fitting tow bars and electrics - "we know how to do it properly" . Result exactly as Moulesy has described with his Peugeot - no problem at all. 

TonyBurton replied on 24/07/2018 21:05

Posted on 24/07/2018 21:05

I've got a fixed towball on my Ford Kuga. The sensors work fine , But they don't allow for the extra protrusion. So they let you get very close before the final long beep.

grumpychippy replied on 18/09/2018 11:27

Posted on 18/09/2018 11:27

I have a Kia Sorento which came with a removable tow bar but is such a pig to remove that I have left it attached for the last 7 years. At no time has there been an issue with the reversing sensors. I would imagine that the the type of vehicle and its design would affect how the sensors behave

Wildwood replied on 18/09/2018 11:31

Posted on 18/09/2018 11:31

Our Mazda has sensors and we have no problem wit a fixed tow ball. It was fitted by a well established tow bar fitting firm who know the subject well. I suspect problems arise when the fitting is done by less competent fitters.

EmilysDad replied on 18/09/2018 11:50

Posted on 18/09/2018 11:27 by grumpychippy

I have a Kia Sorento which came with a removable tow bar but is such a pig to remove that I have left it attached for the last 7 years. At no time has there been an issue with the reversing sensors. I would imagine that the the type of vehicle and its design would affect how the sensors behave

Posted on 18/09/2018 11:50

After 7 years your tow bar has probably rusted itself solid to your car ... 🤔

Mitsi Fendt replied on 18/09/2018 15:06

Posted on 18/09/2018 15:06

Never had a problem with a fixed tow ball and reversing sensors. Last vehicle the fitter put a switch in the boot so that I could manually disable the sensors if I wished. Current vehicle has a reverse camera fitted that gives a view directly on the tow ball which is great for hitching up. Saves messing about with OH trying to direct me or fiddling about with the mover which I only use when I really can't manage otherwise.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook