Do you tow an Elddis Affinity 550? Stability?

handsj replied on 09/01/2017 14:53

Posted on 09/01/2017 14:53

We bought our new 2016 Affinity 550 last year. Lovely caravan and we're very pleased with it.

BUT we find it a stressful tow. We tow with our trusty BMW 320D estate and have found the combination less than stable. During our last time away we experienced a snake on the A303 that started with a deep rut in the road. We were saved by taking foot off accelerator and the ALKO ATC.

We never tow above 55mph and we're very careful with loading (low down, over the axle) to ensure a noseweight of 85Kg using a calibrated gauge. Although the plated MTLPM is 1457Kg, we don't carry much weight so we probably tow around 1380Kg max. As the BMW weighs 1580Kg I'd have thought we'd be ok (at 87%) so the ongoing instability is a disappointment. We've even had heavy duty springs fitted to the BMW but this made little difference. Tyre pressures are as per manual. Awning on back seat of car.

We'd love to hear the experience of other Affinity owners please?

handsj replied on 08/07/2017 15:39

Posted on 08/07/2017 15:39

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Yes we've made sure the towball is clean and the friction pads were specifically checked out ok at the service in April. We're due for a stay near Warwick later this month so will try moving weight around again for the journey.  We've always travelled with the bed in 'day mode' in the past so will try pulling it right out this time.

We too have struggled to keep the nose weight down with this van and usually travel with a noseweight of around 90Kg. Hit & miss this one as there's no guidance in the manual about what to do with the bed. I'm happy that the car sits level with its new heavy duty springs.

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 15/07/2017 12:13

Posted on 09/01/2017 14:53 by handsj

We bought our new 2016 Affinity 550 last year. Lovely caravan and we're very pleased with it.

BUT we find it a stressful tow. We tow with our trusty BMW 320D estate and have found the combination less than stable. During our last time away we experienced a snake on the A303 that started with a deep rut in the road. We were saved by taking foot off accelerator and the ALKO ATC.

We never tow above 55mph and we're very careful with loading (low down, over the axle) to ensure a noseweight of 85Kg using a calibrated gauge. Although the plated MTLPM is 1457Kg, we don't carry much weight so we probably tow around 1380Kg max. As the BMW weighs 1580Kg I'd have thought we'd be ok (at 87%) so the ongoing instability is a disappointment. We've even had heavy duty springs fitted to the BMW but this made little difference. Tyre pressures are as per manual. Awning on back seat of car.

We'd love to hear the experience of other Affinity owners please?

Posted on 15/07/2017 12:13

We had an Elddis Supreme 550 which is a special edition from Preston Caravans, 2015 model on an Alko chassis.  Towed with an E class 220 Estate and had no problems at all, even in very high cross winds when in Northern Spain in winter 2016.  A little wiggle here and there when being overtaken by a speeding high sided white van, or when we were overtaking a lorry on a motorway - but generally pretty solid.  This van was up-plated to 1500 kgs.  So I wonder if the 320D is simply not heavy enough for what you ask of it

replied on 23/07/2017 17:25

Posted on 23/07/2017 17:25

We previously owned a 2015 Affinity and towed with a BMW 330d saloon. I found it a great match even though we had a 87% match ratio. Rarely fell it wiggle around and was able to maintain 60mph on the mway without any fuss up and down the country. I only had 1no 4.5kg bottle in the locker and loaded all food / heavy items over the axle and bulky items (chairs etc) under the bed, along with all clothes in the rear wardrobes. When travelling with the awning, always put it in the boot. It is a shame you are not having the same experience as I really found it a good match. Are your tyre pressures ok on the van? Tyre tread ok on the car?

handsj replied on 27/07/2017 09:54

Posted on 15/07/2017 12:13 by Oxfordeagle15

We had an Elddis Supreme 550 which is a special edition from Preston Caravans, 2015 model on an Alko chassis.  Towed with an E class 220 Estate and had no problems at all, even in very high cross winds when in Northern Spain in winter 2016.  A little wiggle here and there when being overtaken by a speeding high sided white van, or when we were overtaking a lorry on a motorway - but generally pretty solid.  This van was up-plated to 1500 kgs.  So I wonder if the 320D is simply not heavy enough for what you ask of it

Posted on 27/07/2017 09:54

That's interesting, thank you.  Yes we're coming to the conclusion that our problem is simply down to the weight of our 320D.  We feel that we've acted on everyone's advice yet the issue isn't going away. 

handsj replied on 27/07/2017 10:00

Posted on 23/07/2017 17:25 by

We previously owned a 2015 Affinity and towed with a BMW 330d saloon. I found it a great match even though we had a 87% match ratio. Rarely fell it wiggle around and was able to maintain 60mph on the mway without any fuss up and down the country. I only had 1no 4.5kg bottle in the locker and loaded all food / heavy items over the axle and bulky items (chairs etc) under the bed, along with all clothes in the rear wardrobes. When travelling with the awning, always put it in the boot. It is a shame you are not having the same experience as I really found it a good match. Are your tyre pressures ok on the van? Tyre tread ok on the car?

Posted on 27/07/2017 10:00

This is also interesting thank you.  Yes the van tyre pressures are to manufacturer's spec. (58psi). New Michelin tyres on the rear, increased in pressure for full load.  ESP switched on, ALKO ATC fitted and working ok.

We really do seem to have exhausted all the possibilities and are now reluctantly looking at replacement cars.

replied on 28/07/2017 22:01

Posted on 28/07/2017 22:01

We towed our Affinity 550 with a 330d which I think is heavier than the 320d. Maybe this made the difference?

handsj replied on 21/08/2017 15:31

Posted on 21/08/2017 15:31

An update, for those who commented.  We took your advice!

We've finally taken the plunge and bought a 2013 Landrover Freelander SD4 GS automatic to replace our 13 year old BMW.  The Landy will provide us with a weight ratio of 80% and a tow bar limit of 150Kg.  The engine has a power output of 190 BHP so it should easily cope with our Elddis for our next holiday in the Lake District later this month.

Thank you once again - we're now looking forward to some stress-free touring!

Helen & Steve

holmesonwheels24 replied on 21/08/2017 20:06

Posted on 21/08/2017 20:06

I tow with a BMW X3 no problems at all with stability, the car is equipped with the factory fit t/bar , very happy all round.

Too late for the original poster but my previous car was a BMW320 touring, the only time it went wonky was after a pair new rear tyres were fitted. A change of wheels front to back cured the problem. That vehicle also had a factory fit t/bar and with that comes heavy duty rear springs as standard.

replied on 21/08/2017 20:23

Posted on 21/08/2017 20:23

I believe that tyre choice makes a remarkable difference. My car tows well and hence I always choose to match original tyre

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook