Discovery 4 - Alko Stabiliser

replied on 02/10/2018 21:12

Posted on 02/10/2018 21:12

Hi to everyone, ive just been away for our first ever weekend with our first caravan, i fitted an alko stabiliser to the caravan its the one with the red handle. My discovery has a detachable towbar but when the caravan was hooked up to the disco the red stabiliser handle would not go right down so the pads didn't connect with the towball.

My question is does the towball have to be a certain size to fit the stabiliser, does anyone else have a disco with this problem?? what is the answer?? do i need to buy a different detachable towbar?? 

Tirril replied on 02/10/2018 22:27

Posted on 02/10/2018 22:27

My previous car was a Discovery 4 (brilliant tow car) and the detachable to hitch is the standard 50mm size. Many years back the standard towball was slightly wider at 2" which would not fit a modern ALKo hitch. However yours will certainly be the matching 50mm. The other issue with tow hitches is that the neck needs to be slightly longer to accommodate the ALKo. Again however Landrovers own detachable is suitable, certainly I never had any problems. It seems to me the more likely cause is that the pads in the hitch need checking to see if they are protruding too much and may need adjusting. Another consideration is that it can need a fair amount of downward pressure when pushing the Alko handle down to lock on.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook