Charging battery when towing

Geggsie replied on 08/08/2018 08:42

Posted on 08/08/2018 08:42

Which of the three settings do I choose car van or in the middle. I have an older car 2013 Sports so no euro 6 engine. Also do I need to have the battery charger switched on. If it's relevant my caravan is a 2007 Sterling Eccles Jewel. I sometimes need to use the moved on sites and can get around the dead battery by connecting to the EHU but when returning to our limited space storage no such option is available. Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

johnathome replied on 08/08/2018 09:22

Posted on 08/08/2018 09:22

Firstly you should not be using mover on EHU at all.

The car should be charging your battery on the car setting,providing the cars towing socket is wired correctly.

The Van setting is when pitched and on EHU to allow charging and lighting etc to work via various fuses.

the middle is usually all circuits off.

A new battery would be a start.

johndailey replied on 08/08/2018 09:35

Posted on 08/08/2018 09:35

Johnathome. I have often wondered about using the motor mover whilst on hook up but wondered if it could cause problems. Could you explain why it should not be done please?

johnathome replied on 08/08/2018 09:39

Posted on 08/08/2018 09:39

Also from a re read of your post, do you have a separate switch for charging, if so this needs to be on when connected to EHU.

johnathome replied on 08/08/2018 09:46

Posted on 08/08/2018 09:46

J D if you like to overload circuit boards and invalidating any warranty apart from the danger of a 240v lead trailing around also.

the EHU plug is supposed to be fitted so that the mover cannot be operated without unpluging it.

although reading other posts in the past, there seems to be some exceptions.

EmilysDad replied on 08/08/2018 10:01

Posted on 08/08/2018 09:46 by johnathome

J D if you like to overload circuit boards and invalidating any warranty apart from the danger of a 240v lead trailing around also.

the EHU plug is supposed to be fitted so that the mover cannot be operated without unpluging it.

Posted on 08/08/2018 10:01

Not strictly true. My caravan has telly & 12 volt sockets under the 240 mains plug, so the on/off switch for the mover can't be fitted there.

EmilysDad replied on 08/08/2018 10:04

Posted on 08/08/2018 08:42 by Geggsie

Which of the three settings do I choose car van or in the middle. I have an older car 2013 Sports so no euro 6 engine. Also do I need to have the battery charger switched on. If it's relevant my caravan is a 2007 Sterling Eccles Jewel. I sometimes need to use the moved on sites and can get around the dead battery by connecting to the EHU but when returning to our limited space storage no such option is available. Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Posted on 08/08/2018 10:04

I think the car/off/caravan switch you're referring too is the switch used to determine where the power is supplied from when you're parked up in a lay-by. If you're car is wired correctly, you just plug it in to the caravan ... that's it, nothing to switch over as far as charging is concerned. My last caravan had the above switch however my 2013 caravan doesn't.

KjellNN replied on 08/08/2018 10:39

Posted on 08/08/2018 10:39

I agree, just leave the 3 position switch permanently on VAN unless you particularly  need to use the other settings.

Your handbook should explain when to use these settings, if you have no handbook, they are available on the Swift website.

Whatever setting you use, the battery should still be charged when towing, assuming the car is correctly wired.  If this is not happening then checking the plugs on the car would be my first step.

The charging is direct from the car, not via the caravan charger.

johndailey replied on 09/08/2018 14:47

Posted on 08/08/2018 09:46 by johnathome

Posted on 09/08/2018 14:47

Thank you Johnathome.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook