Certificate of Conformity confusion

TonyandKarenM replied on 05/02/2019 21:09

Posted on 05/02/2019 21:09

According to Certificate of Conformity for my car the "Mass in Running Order" (Mass in Service) is 1480kg. (No. 13. on the certificate)

The "Maximum Laden Mass of the vehicle" is 2005kg (No. 16.1 on the certificate)

There is another figure on the certificate for "The Actual Mass of the vehicle" 1608kg (No. 13.2 on the certificate)

The difference between the mass in running order and actual mass is 128kg. The 13.2 figure does not feature on the V5C. Does anyone know what the difference is between mass in running order and actual mass? I cannot find a definition for Actual Mass and 128kg seems an unusual figure. Confused!

Lutz replied on 05/02/2019 22:21

Posted on 05/02/2019 22:21

Mass in Running Order is the weight of the car in basic configuration without any factory fitted options over and above what the manufacturer deemed to be standard equipment for the purpose of type approval. Actual mass, as the name implies, includes all the factory fitted options on your particular car and is the figure that comes closest to kerbweight.

Mass in Running Order is a bit abstract and doesn’t really reflect actual conditions. It is almost invariably less than the actual weight, hence the difference of 128kg.

Lutz replied on 06/02/2019 09:58

Posted on 06/02/2019 06:39 by TonyandKarenM

Thank you for your reply. So, I take it from that I should use the actual mass figure when working out towing figures? I am going to get the vehicle weighed for peace of mind anyway.

Posted on 06/02/2019 09:58

Yes, it's as close as you'll get without actually weighing the car. Don't forget that the 'Actual Mass' will not include anything that the dealer may have fitted, such as a towbar, for example.

Tigi replied on 06/02/2019 20:01

Posted on 06/02/2019 20:01

Am I missing something I`ve never heard of anyone weighing the car to "work out towing weights"?  If you need to go that far you are probably sailing too close to the wind anyway.

lornalou1 replied on 06/02/2019 23:25

Posted on 06/02/2019 20:01 by Tigi

Am I missing something I`ve never heard of anyone weighing the car to "work out towing weights"?  If you need to go that far you are probably sailing too close to the wind anyway.

Posted on 06/02/2019 23:25

After that comment Tigi, I hope you have a tin helmet on.

TonyandKarenM replied on 07/02/2019 08:04

Posted on 06/02/2019 20:01 by Tigi

Posted on 07/02/2019 08:04

After reading a lot of posts on here and other sites it can be quite confusing to a novice when it comes to weights. There seem to be a lot of different terminology involved and also what is included in the weights (full tank/half tank/driver weight included or not.) When working out towing weights on outfit matching sites the kerb weight figure used for my car, a 2016 Nissan Qashqai 1.6dci auto, is 1505kg (give or take depending on model.The model I have is rare and not included on uk websites)  Max towing weight 1400kg. I asked on here if anyone knew what the difference was in mass in running order and actual mass. In my case an increase of 128kg. taking the weight up to 1608kg. As there seems to be a lot of emphasis placed on the 85% guide I wanted to get the formula right. A few pounds spent on a weighbridge check would just be for peace of mind, would give me the exact weight of the car and I would also know exactly which figure to use given the advice from earlier in the thread.

Metheven replied on 07/02/2019 08:46

Posted on 07/02/2019 08:46

All credit to you 'TandK' for at least making the effort to understand the weights, and there is no harm at all in weighing the vehicle. Understanding is far better than ignorance 👍

TonyandKarenM replied on 07/02/2019 09:53

Posted on 07/02/2019 08:46 by Metheven

All credit to you 'TandK' for at least making the effort to understand the weights, and there is no harm at all in weighing the vehicle. Understanding is far better than ignorance 👍

Posted on 07/02/2019 09:53

Thank you "Metheven" I see a lot is made of the weight of the caravan and several times I have seen posts and youtube videos reccomending that they be taken to get them weighed, so it seems to me that if you are going to do that then why not the car as well. I know that you could take them both at the same time and do it in one visit but not when you are working out what weight van you can buy. Thanks to the posts on here I am now sure and confident about how much I can pull!

Lutz replied on 07/02/2019 10:26

Posted on 07/02/2019 10:26

Just a note on the side:

Kerbweight, by definition, doesn’t include the driver, but it does include a full tank.

Mass in Service and Actual Mass does include the driver, but only a 90% full tank.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook