Caravan and Motorhome Club Towcar of the Year 2019

RowenaBCAMC replied on 25/09/2018 10:39

Posted on 25/09/2018 10:39

Our 36th annual towcar competition has put a variety of the latest cars to the test – vigorous testing at that!

We assessed 35 cars at the Millbrook Proving Ground, everything from driving handling to caravanability. After thorough examination and number-crunching, the results of this year’s towcar awards are in.

If you are shopping for a new towcar, our write up on each make and model will offer insight to help you with your buying decision. 

Find out who the winners are here: 2019 winners

viatorem replied on 27/09/2018 08:54

Posted on 27/09/2018 08:54

Fascinating insight in to towcars and vans. I'm a bit surprised at Bailey and Alko!

As a sufferer of Alko/Bailey axle failure I note that the Unicorn Segovia as towed by the Mercedes is ballasted at 2104Kg  somewhat over the Segovias 1767Kg MTPLM. Now I know this was not on a public road so anything goes. But this would be illegal on public roads!!

3 or 4 of the heavyweight towcars demanded a van ballasted beyond MTPLM

I wonder if these vans get sold on!!!

Lutz replied on 27/09/2018 11:27

Posted on 27/09/2018 08:54 by viatorem

Fascinating insight in to towcars and vans. I'm a bit surprised at Bailey and Alko!

As a sufferer of Alko/Bailey axle failure I note that the Unicorn Segovia as towed by the Mercedes is ballasted at 2104Kg  somewhat over the Segovias 1767Kg MTPLM. Now I know this was not on a public road so anything goes. But this would be illegal on public roads!!

3 or 4 of the heavyweight towcars demanded a van ballasted beyond MTPLM

I wonder if these vans get sold on!!!

Posted on 27/09/2018 11:27

I'm surprised that they use regular caravans. At work, when we did our towing tests we had caravans made specially for us without any interior fittings except for shelves for ballast. There was one single axle and one twin and both had chassis rated right at the top limit of what one would expect would be towed by a normal car. However, because they had no interior fittings, they had a very low MIRO. Consequently their weight could be adjusted to almost any value to suit the respective towcar. Another advantage of having such custom built caravans is that load distribution inside is also almost infinitely variable, which was useful for tests under varying conditions.

Extugger replied on 27/09/2018 11:40

Posted on 26/09/2018 22:18 by DavidKlyne

Regarding the selection of cars being tested. My understanding is that to be included in TCOTY a car has either got to be a new model or had a substantial upgrade since it was last tested. Also some manufacturers don't always put their cars forward. This might explain why cars you expected to be there are not? 

David

Posted on 27/09/2018 11:40

No David, I'm sorry but to only test 35 vehicles is a pretty poor sample and what's more, no they were not all new models. Disappointed to be honest as this does not reflect well on the Club imho

viatorem replied on 27/09/2018 15:39

Posted on 27/09/2018 15:39

I think it is very difficult to discern what is being tested from the vague summary results published. Looks very subjective. Are they testing the vans ,the cars ,the drivers, the tyres? I guess it is a dynamic test, so isolating the towcar performance alone would need much analysis.

Perhaps this is the one application where a driverless car would help?

It might be more informative to test cars at 70, 85 and 95% weight ratios this might give enough data to objectively assess towing characteristics. Basically a towing vehicle, trailer ,driver etc is a control system, a control systems engineer would never base critical stability or any other assessment on a single data point.

One only has to look at what is monitored on an F1 car even with all that data and analysis problems persist.

TonyBurton replied on 28/09/2018 14:58

Posted on 28/09/2018 14:58

IMO To find the best towcar they should test it to the car's maximum towing capacity rather than this outdated 85% figure.

Lutz replied on 28/09/2018 17:31

Posted on 28/09/2018 14:58 by TonyBurton

IMO To find the best towcar they should test it to the car's maximum towing capacity rather than this outdated 85% figure.

Posted on 28/09/2018 17:31

That's right. If a car is good at the limit it would be even better at 85%.

replied on 04/10/2018 22:07

Posted on 04/10/2018 22:07

I like to read about tow car of the year, it helps you to think of your next tow car plus listening to people and chat on here. I think its good they have gone on weight instead of price. as I like many other people can not afford new cars. I am pleased that my now car is in there and a winner. but I choose my tow car for my needs . now towing with a touareg the best yet but maybe not as good as my next one? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook