Caravan and Motorhome Club Towcar of the Year 2019

RowenaBCAMC replied on 25/09/2018 10:39

Posted on 25/09/2018 10:39

Our 36th annual towcar competition has put a variety of the latest cars to the test – vigorous testing at that!

We assessed 35 cars at the Millbrook Proving Ground, everything from driving handling to caravanability. After thorough examination and number-crunching, the results of this year’s towcar awards are in.

If you are shopping for a new towcar, our write up on each make and model will offer insight to help you with your buying decision. 

Find out who the winners are here: 2019 winners

EmilysDad replied on 26/09/2018 09:09

Posted on 26/09/2018 09:09

I had a 24v Senator which I think was tow car of the year in its day ..... I remember they had it at 100+mph with a caravan on the back 🤤

Cornersteady replied on 26/09/2018 10:17

Posted on 26/09/2018 10:17

Agree with point above and myself and Lutz had agreed on this before, you buy a tow car on your own set of parameters, but I think the comment by one judge sums it up;

"Towing just got cool!"

Judge's comment

Is it just me (probably) but since when does cool (unless it's talking about the air con?) a viable benchmark for a towcar? Above weight, pulling power...

Bakers2 replied on 26/09/2018 13:46

Posted on 26/09/2018 08:18 by Lutz

Does anyone actually buy a car on the basis of a Towcar of the Year Award? I doubt it. Most people have their own priorities which don't necessarily tie in with what someone else has reputedly 'tested'. No car that I've ever owned was a TOTY winner and yet I've been more than happy with most of them. The only one that I had which was marginal was a 1.8 petrol Vectra, but even that may have been OK with a smaller caravan.

They don't test them at the limit anyway, only within the 85% weight ratio, so the results are no help to anyone not wishing to abide by the recommendation.

Posted on 26/09/2018 13:46

I'm never likely to tow myself but as a complete novice I think I would look at this type of result for guidance. After all the club claims/is a leading one on caravanning. Thus I would expect to visit their website, these days but publications of theirs too, for a minimum of a starting point. I would naively assume that they tested ALL cars available on the market before coming up with winners. I certainly didn't realise I was THAT green 😂😂. 

I know enough not to start with a car salesperson, but I fear these results are as bad!

Just my humble green opinion. After all if I want advise on a subject I go to what I consider to be an expert in that area 😲😲

Extugger replied on 26/09/2018 13:48

Posted on 26/09/2018 13:48

Same old, same old.

I'm sorry, but I cannot take these results seriously when there are errors in the test vehicles performance, the same bunch of 50-60 year old testers and such a limited field of tow cars.

Before giving an award as TCOTY, where are the vehicles of Landrover, Toyota, Jeep, Hyundai, Kia, Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes? Are the club seriously suggesting a Volvo is a better than all the others I've just mentioned? Granted, it's an ok vehicle - but it's not in the same league as a Discovery, for example! (I don't own one by the way!)

Come on Club - let's have a fair playing field 

Tinwheeler replied on 26/09/2018 14:10

Posted on 26/09/2018 14:10

I feel the field of vehicles is now so small it’s really not worth bothering with the competition at all.

It used to be the case that it was down to manufacturers to enter their vehicles into the competition so only those cars put forward were judged. I wonder if that’s the way it works today?

hastghyll replied on 26/09/2018 16:52

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:52

I've just got my copy of the magazine with the towcar supplement. I actually thought it was a bit better this year as the vehicles were grouped by weight rather than price.

Jonray, there's several vehicles of the makes you mention but like all these things it's the opinion of the judges that give the final winner.

At the end of the day however, as has already been mentioned, it's your own criteria and judgement that count. 

IainM1970 replied on 26/09/2018 19:58

Posted on 26/09/2018 19:58

Bought an XC60 D5 R Design a couple of months ago, so can heartily agree it is a great towcar.  The best?  In my eyes yes because it suits my needs down to the ground, but that is a very personal thing!

lornalou1 replied on 26/09/2018 21:00

Posted on 26/09/2018 19:58 by IainM1970

Bought an XC60 D5 R Design a couple of months ago, so can heartily agree it is a great towcar.  The best?  In my eyes yes because it suits my needs down to the ground, but that is a very personal thing!

Posted on 26/09/2018 21:00

how many cars did you test before you found that this met all your needs. wink

DavidKlyne replied on 26/09/2018 22:18

Posted on 26/09/2018 13:48 by Extugger

Same old, same old.

I'm sorry, but I cannot take these results seriously when there are errors in the test vehicles performance, the same bunch of 50-60 year old testers and such a limited field of tow cars.

Before giving an award as TCOTY, where are the vehicles of Landrover, Toyota, Jeep, Hyundai, Kia, Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes? Are the club seriously suggesting a Volvo is a better than all the others I've just mentioned? Granted, it's an ok vehicle - but it's not in the same league as a Discovery, for example! (I don't own one by the way!)

Come on Club - let's have a fair playing field 

Posted on 26/09/2018 22:18

Regarding the selection of cars being tested. My understanding is that to be included in TCOTY a car has either got to be a new model or had a substantial upgrade since it was last tested. Also some manufacturers don't always put their cars forward. This might explain why cars you expected to be there are not? 

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook