A bit of give in tow bar.

replied on 18/09/2018 18:56

Posted on 18/09/2018 18:56

When returning from France last week  I put the tow bar in and made sure it was in properly by giving it a firm shake from side to side and noticed for the first time a very very slight bit of give in it, so my better half had a go and being a tad weaker than me she didn't notice anything so should I be worried about the slightest bit of give ? I will say we came back from the Ile de Re without any issues,we had the tow bar fitted approx. 2 and a half yrs ago and it's been approx. 5,000 miles towing.  Thanks,

replied on 26/09/2018 18:40

Posted on 20/09/2018 17:05 by Wildwood

I would check with the tow bar manufacturer what they say as this is something that needs their expert advice.

Posted on 26/09/2018 18:40

Yeah I will get the chap back round as he was a mobile fitter and  I still have his number .

Tirril replied on 02/10/2018 22:39

Posted on 02/10/2018 22:39

Do you mean 'give in the tow ball' rather than tow bar? There should be absolutely no play in the tow bar which is tightly bolted to the car chassis. I did have a Discovery 4 with a detachable tow ball which had a slight amount of play. Landrover did a recall and measured the amount of play with a gauge. Mine was deemed borderline but I insisted I wanted it replaced as I was towing a heavy twin axle. They did so free of charge. From my experience talking with the engineer a small amount of play with a detachable tow ball was acceptable as it needs to be capable of inserting and removal. The important fact being that it cannot detach itself! I would recommend you get the engineer to check your tow hitch

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook