4x4/AWD Tyre Choices.

Extugger replied on 11/05/2019 08:56

Posted on 11/05/2019 08:56

Any recommendations from members regarding replacement tyre choices for their 4x4/SUV AWD's?

I require tyres for on and off road use (not serious off-roading - just crossing fields etc) - the best choice seems to be Good Year Wranglers, but would like to here others' opinions/choices/

Thank you

Milothedog replied on 11/05/2019 09:55

Posted on 11/05/2019 09:55

Have look on forums for your particular car and see what the general consensus is, The reason I say this is there are many tyres out there that will fit and achieve what you want but sometimes there is a trade off. One of those is road noise in the car which is where your car will spend most of its time.  As a rule of thumb its usually best to stick with whatever your manufacturer list in the hand book. 

If it helps, my Freelander 2 is on factory spec Pirelli Scorpion Zero's which seem to do all that is required, i.e. Muddy fields, wet grass, normal road work, are slow wearing etc.

Also had Goodyear Wranglers on our Freelander 1 a few years back and was quite happy with them, again I think they were also an OEM fitment.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 11/05/2019 14:37

Posted on 11/05/2019 14:37

I currently have General Grabber AT2’s. I use to pull a loaded 2tonne log trailer over Farmers fields & thru Forests & Woods. I found them great, I still have them on but mainly for road use. They're good for cornering with little road rumble except at high speeds. I can’t say they’re the best as I’ve also used BF Goddrich tyres. I reckon as long as they’re ‘Town & Country’s’ they’ll do a good job👍🏻

Phishing replied on 18/05/2019 18:07

Posted on 18/05/2019 18:07

Tried:

Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport. Good mid range, no issues drove well on/off road, good road manners, even wear etc, tough.

Yokohama Geolandar A/T (G015). Another good mid range with advantage of all weather rating. Better than the Cooper in my opinion but similar capabilities.

Both the above better than the Dunlop fitted OE.

viatorem replied on 28/05/2019 08:02

Posted on 28/05/2019 08:02

If your looking for a lower cost tyre if have found Tigar SUV  very good M&S rated but extremely quiet and comfortable on road, they are made in Europe by a Michelin owned factory. Check with ATS tyres again part of Michelin. Not full AT tyres but grippier on fields than most standard SUV tyres, I have run them for 2 years now with no problems on or off road.

Extugger replied on 28/05/2019 09:28

Posted on 28/05/2019 09:28

Thank you to all for your suggestions 👍

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook