2018 Caravans with L.E.D. Roadlights

Scottie2 replied on 14/02/2018 12:02

Posted on 14/02/2018 12:02

Taking delivery of a 2018 Challenger 480 in mid March...Will be towing it with a 2015 mk5  TDCI Mondeo 1997cc Zetec Eco. Can anyone advise whether I am likely to have any problems with the road lights when towing ....Would appreciate your advice.

Phishing replied on 14/02/2018 21:13

Posted on 14/02/2018 21:13

Don't understand why you think you would have issues.

Assuming you already have a 13pin connector on the car then you should be fine.

LED lights are better in all respects but do have much smaller current draw than filament bulbs. This should not give you any issues. The only issues were the electronics sometimes causing a pulsing effect on some vehicles but this is easily sorted if it occurs.

Scottie2 replied on 14/02/2018 21:27

Posted on 14/02/2018 21:13 by Phishing

LED lights are better in all respects but do have much smaller current draw than filament bulbs. This should not give you any issues. The only issues were the electronics sometimes causing a pulsing effect on some vehicles but this is easily sorted if it occurs.

Posted on 14/02/2018 21:27

It has been known for new caravans with L.E.D. road lights to  have, when connected to certain towcars, caused things like both indicators to flash in unison and at double speed and an electrical item, don’t know what it is, fitted to the car in order to correct it. So, don’t know if this happens to certain makes cars or all makes and whether it’s due to the tow car has/has not  L.E.D.’s....I think one of the first instances reported was on a Bailey caravan which had L.E.D.’s incorporated into the grab handles.....It may be ok nowadays but just asking if it is or not still happening.

EmilysDad replied on 14/02/2018 21:50

Posted on 14/02/2018 21:13 by Phishing

Posted on 14/02/2018 21:50

Various problems have been experienced, Sargent even make a box of electrickery to compensate.

My Merc R Class pulses the front & side led marker lights of my Coachman when my car's lights are off, my 'cure' is to tow with my lights on.

MDD10 replied on 15/02/2018 07:51

Posted on 15/02/2018 07:51

I have a 2017 Swift and Ford Smax so electronics will be the same set up.  I found they work slightly differently in that the LEDs come on if you open the car doors when parked etc, and also remain on for a couple of minutes after stopping.  Slightly disconcerting at first but works fine.  Oh....and I presume this happens as I have a tow bar with a vehicle specific wiring kit.

Scottie2 replied on 15/02/2018 10:01

Posted on 14/02/2018 12:02 by Scottie2

Taking delivery of a 2018 Challenger 480 in mid March...Will be towing it with a 2015 mk5  TDCI Mondeo 1997cc Zetec Eco. Can anyone advise whether I am likely to have any problems with the road lights when towing ....Would appreciate your advice.

Posted on 15/02/2018 10:01

Swift Challenger 480 (2018)...dealer confirmed certain tow cars (he couldn’t specify which cars), the led’s fitted on this 2018 caravan can suffer from “pulsing” of the brake lights, side marker lights and presume the indicator lights as well. .Has anyone got a 2015 Mondeo along with  a new caravan (2018 Swift in particular) , and experiencing this proble. If so did you fit a Sargent VLM box as there’s three variants of the VLM box...Appreciate your comments if your outfit meets above models.

ocsid replied on 15/02/2018 10:21

Posted on 15/02/2018 10:21

A thought here:

Should you have told them during the buying experience specifically the car you were towing with then IMO the problem if there is one is theirs come hand over. For them to make the van fit for the purpose you outlined.

If you did not then any issue is back in your hands but I would be expecting their professional help even if then they are not picking up the tabs.

Scottie2 replied on 15/02/2018 10:58

Posted on 14/02/2018 21:50 by EmilysDad

Various problems have been experienced, Sargent even make a box of electrickery to compensate.

My Merc R Class pulses the front & side led marker lights of my Coachman when my car's lights are off, my 'cure' is to tow with my lights on.

Posted on 15/02/2018 10:58

Hi MollysMummy,...Yes, Sargent make a item VLM 4 which fits inside the caravan near to the fuse box...Comes in three variants, a VLM4, a VLM4-A, both these covers the majority of led lamped Caravans AND a VLM4-B, which apparently is for specific use on BMW’s.

lornalou1 replied on 15/02/2018 11:27

Posted on 15/02/2018 11:27

take the car to a towbar fitter or dealer and get them to plug a test board on the car and this should determine if everthing works ok. when i had my bar fitted at home the fitter tested everything even the fridge and charging circuits with his board plugged in. didn't have a caravan at the time.

EmilysDad replied on 15/02/2018 11:41

Posted on 15/02/2018 10:58 by Scottie2

Hi MollysMummy,...Yes, Sargent make a item VLM 4 which fits inside the caravan near to the fuse box...Comes in three variants, a VLM4, a VLM4-A, both these covers the majority of led lamped Caravans AND a VLM4-B, which apparently is for specific use on BMW’s.

Posted on 15/02/2018 11:41

I spoke to Sargent about my car & caravan led lights. It's not something they'd come across before & couldn't offer a solution, hence my easy 'cure' 😎

Scottie2 replied on 15/02/2018 18:47

Posted on 15/02/2018 11:27 by lornalou1

take the car to a towbar fitter or dealer and get them to plug a test board on the car and this should determine if everthing works ok. when i had my bar fitted at home the fitter tested everything even the fridge and charging circuits with his board plugged in. didn't have a caravan at the time.

Posted on 15/02/2018 18:47

I know what you are referring but the test board the tow bar fitters use is for testing standard type road lights, fridge and charging circuits. This issue is directly to do with l.e.d. roadlights on trailers and the problems arising with CERTAIN tow cars only...The ultimate test is only achieved by hooking up to very modern caravan fitted with l.e.d. road lights and checking if the caravan lights “pulse” ....If they do then a Sargent correction box has to be installed near the caravan’s fuse box.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook