2016 Skoda Superb Estate - which tow bar?

1st Silverback replied on 07/03/2019 13:17

Posted on 07/03/2019 13:17

After much research I have finally decided upon and bought a 2016 Mk3 Skoda Superb Estate SE Business spec. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting to have to do pre flight checks before I set off but that's an age thing on my part having to learn all the new software / gadgets that it's equipped with Grrr

Anyway - to the problem.Having dodgy knees (I am now 63) I assumed that I could just have a fixed tow bar and 13 pin specific electrics fitted thus avoiding the bending / kneeling down to line up and engage a detachable ball. But - Says my local bar fitting agent - you have sensors (6 of them) and a fixed bar will cause the sensors to beep unless you switch them off every time you drive the car !  !  ! Noooooo say's I.

So the question is: Is this correct or does anyone out there have a Mk3 Superb estate that has a fixed tow bar that doesn't set off the sensors when not towing ?

Metheven replied on 08/03/2019 14:36

Posted on 08/03/2019 14:36

It's a case of trying out MMs cardboard Blue Peter jobby idea laughing. I have sensors front and rear, and when my towball is deployed the sensors at the rear does not detect it and still works as they should, but some vehicles lower to the ground will have the towball at bumper line/sensor height.

Boff replied on 08/03/2019 14:39

Posted on 08/03/2019 14:39

Never thought of that I have a Westphalia towbar on a Touareg when fitted and no caravan attached it doesn’t interfere with the sensors.  

Also are you sure that you haven’t got the FF swivelling towbar.  Long shot but you never know it might have been specified. The one fitted to mine has never been used.   The release is fitted on the boot sill lhs with a small indicator led there is a good chance a dealer wouldn’t know it was there. 

1st Silverback replied on 08/03/2019 20:06

Posted on 08/03/2019 20:06

I would just like to thank everyone's input with this but i don't think that Touareg's, Kia's and such like can be used as a comparison.

This latest Mk3 Superb is also equipped with something called (i think) park pilot.It basically has 12 sensors all around the car and can detect any obstacles up to 1.2 meters away  !

Is it of any use to me - probably not but society today wants the gadgets  and its this which is causing my tow bar headache !  !This software may not be on your car yet guy's n doll's but it probably will be on your next one !

I wasn't joking when i said i have to do pre flight checks.Anyway - I will be constructing a cardboard towbar this weekend and securing it to the rear bumper for tests - if only just to be disappointed.

In the back of my mind i think i will end up with the westfalia detachable and specific electrics which i had on my previous car.Its just that as we get older some of us just find it difficult to get down there, align, push and fiddle with turn handles and locks frown

eiflow replied on 26/03/2019 07:31

Posted on 26/03/2019 07:31

1stS...I have a 2016 Superb Estate with a Westfalia detachable tow bar and if I leave the tow ball attached it does not get picked up by the rear sensors. HTH.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook