2016 Skoda Superb Estate - which tow bar?

1st Silverback replied on 07/03/2019 13:17

Posted on 07/03/2019 13:17

After much research I have finally decided upon and bought a 2016 Mk3 Skoda Superb Estate SE Business spec. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting to have to do pre flight checks before I set off but that's an age thing on my part having to learn all the new software / gadgets that it's equipped with Grrr

Anyway - to the problem.Having dodgy knees (I am now 63) I assumed that I could just have a fixed tow bar and 13 pin specific electrics fitted thus avoiding the bending / kneeling down to line up and engage a detachable ball. But - Says my local bar fitting agent - you have sensors (6 of them) and a fixed bar will cause the sensors to beep unless you switch them off every time you drive the car !  !  ! Noooooo say's I.

So the question is: Is this correct or does anyone out there have a Mk3 Superb estate that has a fixed tow bar that doesn't set off the sensors when not towing ?

lagerorwine replied on 07/03/2019 21:00

Posted on 07/03/2019 21:00

Ist Silverback - you dont need to ring them, take a look at their website and enter your car details. When I looked an hour ago, there were at least 10 possible options for your car (but most not flanged).

You will have an idea what types are available. With a dedicated wiring kit, I would have thought the rear sensors would be 'accomodated' when the caravan was attached if the software is updated after fitting

Oneputt replied on 07/03/2019 21:33

Posted on 07/03/2019 21:33

My CRV sensors only activate if reversing with the van attached.  Obviously without the van attached they react as any other car without a towbar.

EmilysDad replied on 07/03/2019 22:43

Posted on 07/03/2019 13:17 by 1st Silverback

After much research I have finally decided upon and bought a 2016 Mk3 Skoda Superb Estate SE Business spec. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting to have to do pre flight checks before I set off but that's an age thing on my part having to learn all the new software / gadgets that it's equipped with Grrr

Anyway - to the problem.Having dodgy knees (I am now 63) I assumed that I could just have a fixed tow bar and 13 pin specific electrics fitted thus avoiding the bending / kneeling down to line up and engage a detachable ball. But - Says my local bar fitting agent - you have sensors (6 of them) and a fixed bar will cause the sensors to beep unless you switch them off every time you drive the car !  !  ! Noooooo say's I.

So the question is: Is this correct or does anyone out there have a Mk3 Superb estate that has a fixed tow bar that doesn't set off the sensors when not towing ?

Posted on 07/03/2019 22:43

Does your 40 odd years in the automotive sector not answer your question? πŸ™„ How about a bit of 'card board engineering' and make a tow bar/ball to see if your reverse sensors 'see' it? wink

replied on 07/03/2019 22:45

Posted on 07/03/2019 22:43 by EmilysDad

Does your 40 odd years in the automotive sector not answer your question? πŸ™„ How about a bit of 'card board engineering' and make a tow bar/ball to see if your reverse sensors 'see' it? wink

Posted on 07/03/2019 22:45

You are not always daft MM ..... good idea.

Alan

EmilysDad replied on 07/03/2019 22:54

Posted on 07/03/2019 22:45 by

You are not always daft MM ..... good idea.

Alan

Posted on 07/03/2019 22:54

Card board engineering has its use πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

1st Silverback replied on 08/03/2019 13:19

Posted on 08/03/2019 13:19

I cannot deny - Making and fitting a dummy tow bar in some way may just be the answer.

To be honest - I am not sure that I am going to get the answer any other way.

Thanks for the idea fella's 

Boff replied on 08/03/2019 13:38

Posted on 07/03/2019 13:35 by Tinwheeler

Err, the sensors will only beep when you go into reverse gear. They won't sound when you’re going forward. I’d live with them beeping for the short duration of the reversing manoeuvres.

Posted on 08/03/2019 13:38

Err no, the sensors on my 2017 Skoda Superb Estate beep if some gets too close irrespective of which gear you are in.  

A removable tow bar and the electrics coded would be the best solution if your knees and wallet are up to it. 

richardandros replied on 08/03/2019 14:09

Posted on 08/03/2019 14:09

"a fixed bar will cause the sensors to beep unless you switch them off"

Well mine doesn't!  OK, it's a VW Touareg and not a Superb but the principle's the same. I have a Westfalia swan-neck fixed tow bar and the sensors work as normal. Plus they are automatically disabled when the van is attached.

lornalou1 replied on 08/03/2019 14:10

Posted on 07/03/2019 16:52 by 1st Silverback

There is a switch for turning the sensors off (as stated in my initial post) but if a fixed tow bar will set them off automatically the sensors are useless to me as I only want to hear them to avoid hitting an actual obstacle.Just turning them off every time is defeating the object of having them.

Incidentally Tinwheeler They do bleep when I go forward as I have sensors in the front bumper too laughing

All I want to do is have a tow ball permanently in place (bolted or detachable) and the sensors working in the normal way (front and rear) when NOT COUPLED to a Caravan or trailer.

Posted on 08/03/2019 14:10

I have front sensors but they only beep when I get close to something if front.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook