13 pin socket stops rear vehicle fog lights

footlooserv replied on 31/01/2021 15:22

Posted on 31/01/2021 15:22

I wonder how many people do not know that pin 2 on a 13 pin tow socket for the caravan/trailer cuts out the vehicle fog lights. Whilst this is a good thing with acravan behind you, be warned that it can stick when the 13pin plug has been removed and you have no rear fog lights. Your vehicle switch may indicate all OK!

Also if you leave a 7 pin adaptor in the socket it will cut out the rear fog lights ,- left mine in before when using a small older trailer not realisiing the problem.

Just been checking my Korando for the MOT and found no power to the rear fog lightsfrown

Rufs replied on 31/01/2021 16:54

Posted on 31/01/2021 15:22 by footlooserv

I wonder how many people do not know that pin 2 on a 13 pin tow socket for the caravan/trailer cuts out the vehicle fog lights. Whilst this is a good thing with acravan behind you, be warned that it can stick when the 13pin plug has been removed and you have no rear fog lights. Your vehicle switch may indicate all OK!

Also if you leave a 7 pin adaptor in the socket it will cut out the rear fog lights ,- left mine in before when using a small older trailer not realisiing the problem.

Just been checking my Korando for the MOT and found no power to the rear fog lightsfrown

Posted on 31/01/2021 16:54

Well i have a Kia Sorento and i am using a 7 pin adaptor which is in the socket permanently had has been for some 7 years and rear fog lights work ok laughing,

Vulcan replied on 31/01/2021 18:55

Posted on 31/01/2021 15:22 by footlooserv

Posted on 31/01/2021 18:55

I think your have a wiring fault somewhere. There is no physical switch in the socket, the Caravan specific functions are usually initiated by electrical sensing when the van is connected.

Has your vehicle had the correct towing software installed by the dealer.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 31/01/2021 19:30

Posted on 31/01/2021 19:30

If you check the rear of some sockets, you may well find that there are 14 terminals. The extra terminal allows for feed to the vehicles fog lights to be broken when a plug is inserted.

Vulcan replied on 31/01/2021 22:17

Posted on 31/01/2021 19:30 by Freedom a whitebox

If you check the rear of some sockets, you may well find that there are 14 terminals. The extra terminal allows for feed to the vehicles fog lights to be broken when a plug is inserted.

Posted on 31/01/2021 22:17

I stand corrected, didn,t realise they still used them and certainly never needed one on any of my vehicles.

Metheven replied on 31/01/2021 22:41

Posted on 31/01/2021 22:41

Could be the reason why modern car manufacturers tell you to only plug and unplug with the engine off, so that the system check can set/reset when engine starts.

footlooserv replied on 01/02/2021 15:16

Posted on 31/01/2021 16:54 by Rufs

Well i have a Kia Sorento and i am using a 7 pin adaptor which is in the socket permanently had has been for some 7 years and rear fog lights work ok laughing,

Posted on 01/02/2021 15:16

It has possible been wired not to work as many installers do this due to future problems. The way you will find out is uf your vehicle fog lights stay on when connected up to trailer.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook