Winterhoff friction pads

Daisy2 replied on 10/02/2018 14:44

Posted on 10/02/2018 14:44

Hi all. Me again!

So having managed to tow our little caravan home successfully after purchasing a few weeks ago, today was supposed to be her first outing...to the weighbridge.  So in the rain I finally managed to check nose weight and get hitched up (after making almost every basic error possible - I now have a checklist!) and pulled off the drive.  Lots of creaking and groaning so got out to check hitched correctly.  All seemed fine so set off again.  Lots more creaking and groaning so found first safe place to turn round and go back home!  (Which was really lucky as then realised I'd forgotten the towing mirrors - now also on my checklist!). So after googling I realise I need to invest in some brake cleaner for the tow ball.  I had wiped clean with a cloth before towing and noticed surface oxidation so seems I need to do a more thorough job.  But google search also implied I need to use the brake cleaner on the Winterhoff friction pads?  So for the complete novice, can you please tell me where I access them and what I need to do?  I know they will also need replacing fairly soon.  Is this a novice DIY job?  If not, does anyone know of a good mobile technician in the Bucks/Berks area please? 

Losing my nerve a bit and can see all future holidays being on the drive!  The towing I was worried about is easy, its all this other 'stuff' I'm struggling with. On the plus side I did manage to reverse it neatly onto the drive first time :-) 

Gratefully, Daisy

EmilysDad replied on 10/02/2018 15:48

Posted on 10/02/2018 15:48

If you think of the hitch as a cup that holds onto the tow ball,  then you're wiping the inside of the cup with your brake cleaner. Though the creaking & groaning is a tad annoying, it's not a sign of impending disaster. 😉 Just turn your radio up a bit more. I'm not sure about the Winterhoff hitch, but the pads are easily removed on an Alko hitch so would imagine 5he same for yours. Anything on You Tube? 

compass362 replied on 10/02/2018 15:49

Posted on 10/02/2018 15:49

Hello  , cleaning tow ball is straight forward , any good motor store shop will have brake cleaner usually comes in a spray tin try Halfords if you don't have a local shop .

Give tow ball a  good spray & use scotch bright pad to give it a good clean to make it shine , wipe off with a clean cloth & spray again but let it air dry , then put a ball cover on if you have one .....never use oil or grease on tow ball .

Pads may just need a clean in situation , use fine emery paper on them get access to the pads from underneath  with small 2" square pieces of emery , give them a light clean then give them a spray with brake cleaner & let them air dry  , job done .

Hope that helps 👍

Metheven replied on 10/02/2018 16:03

Posted on 10/02/2018 16:03

I have the Winterhoff WS3000 series hitch Daisy, pads are front and back of the cup. Replacements come with instructions but you have to remove the rubber boot that sits over the front part of the hitch, the pads are clipped in so to remove old ones you use a hammer and small punch through holes from the outside (I used a small screwdriver) to destroy the plastic clip on the old ones. Give everything a good clean and clip in the new from inside of the cup.

Probably the written instructions will be clearer than mine laughing but that's basically it.

It is a DIY job, but you may break your finger nails removing the black rubber covering that will expose the clip holes.cool

I usually stop in the first layby when I realise I have forgotten the mirrors surprised

Milothedog replied on 10/02/2018 17:33

Posted on 10/02/2018 14:44 by Daisy2

Hi all. Me again!

So having managed to tow our little caravan home successfully after purchasing a few weeks ago, today was supposed to be her first outing...to the weighbridge.  So in the rain I finally managed to check nose weight and get hitched up (after making almost every basic error possible - I now have a checklist!) and pulled off the drive.  Lots of creaking and groaning so got out to check hitched correctly.  All seemed fine so set off again.  Lots more creaking and groaning so found first safe place to turn round and go back home!  (Which was really lucky as then realised I'd forgotten the towing mirrors - now also on my checklist!). So after googling I realise I need to invest in some brake cleaner for the tow ball.  I had wiped clean with a cloth before towing and noticed surface oxidation so seems I need to do a more thorough job.  But google search also implied I need to use the brake cleaner on the Winterhoff friction pads?  So for the complete novice, can you please tell me where I access them and what I need to do?  I know they will also need replacing fairly soon.  Is this a novice DIY job?  If not, does anyone know of a good mobile technician in the Bucks/Berks area please? 

Losing my nerve a bit and can see all future holidays being on the drive!  The towing I was worried about is easy, its all this other 'stuff' I'm struggling with. On the plus side I did manage to reverse it neatly onto the drive first time :-) 

Gratefully, Daisy

Posted on 10/02/2018 17:33

Not in English but the video shows you all you need to know cool

Daisy2 replied on 10/02/2018 18:34

Posted on 10/02/2018 18:34

As always, thank you so much!  I've done a trip to Halfords and feel confident about doing a 'clean up'.  Think I might leave changing the pads to someone that knows what they are doing in due course! ☺

Tigi replied on 10/02/2018 19:45

Posted on 10/02/2018 19:45

Don`t be surprised if cleaning makes little difference or at best for a very limited period. I`ve yet to see a definitive answer as to why some hitches creak and some don`t and why some continue to creak no matter what you do. Since the friction pads are common to the hitch on either Winterhof or Alko that leads me to think the cause is connected with the towball make, specifically the material they are made from and the finish of the towball. Some towballs rust and some don`t so the material is not identical. My last towball Westfalia creaked loudly no matter what I tried whereas the current Bosal has never made a sound.

replied on 10/02/2018 19:55

Posted on 10/02/2018 19:55

Daisy,   Our Winterhoff use to squeak so much I was embarrassed when arriving on site especially if the owner was around to direct us.Cleaning of the towball and  hitch pads with a small piece of wet and dry and then a quick spray will cure it, I now tend to do it before every trip.

I think it is very unlikely you will need to change the pads, As previously mentioned the pads fit at the front and rear of the hitch - just have a feel with one finger, they are only aound 25mm diameter and surprisingly smooth

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook