Window lamination repairs

Daisypup21 replied on 06/03/2022 12:21

Posted on 06/03/2022 12:21

We have a 2011 Bailey Unicorn Seville with two of the front windows starting to delaminate, thus steaming up inside.  I have researched how to do the job myself, but trying to find a professional to carry out the repair appears to be totally impossible!

I have found one company, but they want the window out of the caravan for approximately two to three weeks, leaving my caravan unsecure and open to the elements!

We are in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, so if anyone knows of a firm or person who can assist I would appreciate our help.

JollyKernow replied on 06/03/2022 13:31

Posted on 06/03/2022 13:31

Afternoon

It really is quite a straightforward job to do. I've done it on 4 windows so far. A company called Bondrite will supply the glue and will give loads of advice and information over the phone. Window out to window back in is approx. 3 hours.

JK

PeteCI replied on 10/03/2022 15:14

Posted on 10/03/2022 15:14

Are you sure that the windows are really starting to delaminate?

It is not unusual for caravan windows to mist up inside because they are not sealed units. Cold weather or even hosing with cold water while washing can often show this up.

If the windows are not actually delaminating but the misting persists it can sometimes be cleared by removing the little plastic bungs, near the corners on the inside pane, and gently blowing warm air in through one and out of the other.

If you damage or loose a bung they easily replaced. for example from ebay here

jennyc replied on 18/03/2022 07:53

Posted on 18/03/2022 07:53

We’ve had two windows delaminate over the years. In response to the question ‘are you sure?’ When you can fit a finger between the inner and outer skins, you can guarantee that it’s delaminated. For a less severe test, slide in a knife blade. It really isn’t that rare.

Daisypup21 replied on 22/03/2022 18:40

Posted on 22/03/2022 18:40

Thanks for your replies. The windows have delaminated as the panes move separately when I push them gently.

I have tried Bondrite and I think I have managed to fasten them back together . However, I am not sure my first attempt is a final solution. I intend to  monitor them over the season and if  I need to, I will do a full reseal before it goes away for the winter!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook