Wheel Arch Leak

weedkiller replied on 24/01/2022 08:50

Posted on 24/01/2022 08:50

I have a leak into the cupboard by the os wheelarch (Bailey Genoa) does any one know how to remove the outer wheel arch cover so that I can investigate .

It looks as if it could be screwed on but I am unsure whether it is bonded as well

eribaMotters replied on 24/01/2022 09:07

Posted on 24/01/2022 09:07

I cannot comment on the removal, but I can advise on something to seal the are when you gain access. https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-trade-mate-roofers-seal-lead-grey-310ml/72630#_=p

On a return journey from France one year the rain was so bad I lost site of the caravan on the back. I had water penetration around the integral gas locker where the rain had been pulled up underneath the van. I removed cabinetwork, dried the area out and sealed the are. % years later when I sold all was still perfect. It also smells great, if you are after a solvent high, so take care.

I know some will advise on the use of Sikaflex, which is my go-to adhesive/sealant on new dry work.

Colin

viatorem replied on 24/01/2022 09:20

Posted on 24/01/2022 09:20

Something to look out for from a sufferer, hopefully not!

Just check that the tyre has not worn its way through the top of the wheel arch, could indicate an axle or loading problem.

DSB replied on 24/01/2022 11:03

Posted on 24/01/2022 09:20 by viatorem

Something to look out for from a sufferer, hopefully not!

Just check that the tyre has not worn its way through the top of the wheel arch, could indicate an axle or loading problem.

Posted on 24/01/2022 11:03

Exactly what I was thinking, V....  They say you should be able to get a 50p between the top of the tyre and the underneath of the wheel arch (box).  If not, you could very well have a collapsed axle.

If it is the axle, and your 'van is still in warranty, get back to your dealer a.s.a.p.  They may ask for the 'van for an inspection.  If this is the case, they may send for the Alko engineer to inspect.  If so, empty the caravan - Alko will weigh the caravan.  If it's overweight they will blame you for overloading and refuse a warranty claim.

If your van is out of warranty, there is a company in Scotland who refurbished axles (Frazer Brown), but you will probably need to replace the wheel arch box... as it may be the collapsed axle/ tyre that has cause the hole in the box - hence the leak.  

http://www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk/index.php?c=al-ko-axle-repair

Do let us know how you get on with it....  All the best.

David

Dannyd20 replied on 23/03/2024 17:33

Posted on 24/01/2022 11:03 by DSB

Exactly what I was thinking, V....  They say you should be able to get a 50p between the top of the tyre and the underneath of the wheel arch (box).  If not, you could very well have a collapsed axle.

If it is the axle, and your 'van is still in warranty, get back to your dealer a.s.a.p.  They may ask for the 'van for an inspection.  If this is the case, they may send for the Alko engineer to inspect.  If so, empty the caravan - Alko will weigh the caravan.  If it's overweight they will blame you for overloading and refuse a warranty claim.

If your van is out of warranty, there is a company in Scotland who refurbished axles (Frazer Brown), but you will probably need to replace the wheel arch box... as it may be the collapsed axle/ tyre that has cause the hole in the box - hence the leak.  

http://www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk/index.php?c=al-ko-axle-repair

Do let us know how you get on with it....  All the best.

David

Posted on 23/03/2024 17:33

Hi. I have that situation now. Tyre has worn through top of the wheel arch on my Bailey Pegasus 2.

The plastic cover seems very flimsy and appears to have collapsed a little in the center over the wheel.

What is the best way to fix this?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook