Towbar electric adaptor

VBurt replied on 10/07/2023 08:36

Posted on 10/07/2023 08:36

We are touring just now with our Coachman caravan. We have had to hire a tow car as ours has mechanical problems. Our rental car is a Toyota Hilux. We had to buy an adaptor for the electric socket as the Toyota has a 7 pin socket. However, although the road lights on the caravan are working, we have no connection for the caravan braking system. My husband doesn’t think we can resolve this problem. I am very unhappy that our caravan is moving without ABS and also worried it may invalidate the insurance.

does anyone know if there is a different adaptor we can buy that would give us a full electrical link to the caravan? Grateful for any advice.

EmilysDad replied on 10/07/2023 08:55

Posted on 10/07/2023 08:55

your husband is correct. The 7pin (12N) socket of the Hilux will only power the road lights, as you've discovered. Other than adding an additional 12S socket, ie the grey socket to the Hilux, there's no other way of providing power to your caravan's 'ABS' and fridge etc

replied on 10/07/2023 08:56

Posted on 10/07/2023 08:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidRC replied on 10/07/2023 10:07

Posted on 10/07/2023 10:07

You do need to consider the insurance position, with my insurance I get a discount for having ATC ( I assume this is what you mean rather than ABS)  but there is a clause on the policy which says that it must be used at all times, if not then a claim in respect of a "snaking" type accident may be rejected. Perhaps speak to your insurers?

Burgundy replied on 10/07/2023 12:24

Posted on 10/07/2023 10:07 by DavidRC

You do need to consider the insurance position, with my insurance I get a discount for having ATC ( I assume this is what you mean rather than ABS)  but there is a clause on the policy which says that it must be used at all times, if not then a claim in respect of a "snaking" type accident may be rejected. Perhaps speak to your insurers?

Posted on 10/07/2023 12:24

Same here.

Rufs replied on 10/07/2023 14:07

Posted on 10/07/2023 10:07 by DavidRC

Posted on 10/07/2023 14:07

Yes very good point, and my guess is that insurance companies have done some research into the effectiveness of ATC and found it offers valuable assistance otherwise they would not be offering a discount for having it fitted. You never know how good a piece of kit is until you need it and you do not have it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook