Thetford Grill Problem

JohnM20 replied on 22/09/2020 17:21

Posted on 22/09/2020 17:21

I have a problem with the grill in our Thetford cooker but I'm guessing it is not a common fault. The grill burner tube is supported by two metal rods about 6mm dia going vertically up from the burner tube to the body of the cooker, one near the front of the burner tube and one near the back. The front rod has broken away at the top of the rod allowing the tube to drop down at the outer end. It doesn't appear that the rod is threaded  and so I cannot figure out how this was held in place. It's possible to push the rod back up into the hole where it should be but there is nothing obvious to retain it so it just drops down again.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and, if so, how was it rectified?

The cooker is a Thetford S-CK13000 (three burner + electric hotplate). The caravan is 5 years old.

JohnM20 replied on 24/09/2020 10:07

Posted on 24/09/2020 10:07

Has anyone got a phone number or email for Thetford? I've been on their website and all it gives is a list of service centres throughout the UK. I've been in touch with three of the centres that are relatively local to me but none have ever heard of the fault (outlined in my previous post) so can't help me. 

JohnM20 replied on 24/09/2020 12:09

Posted on 24/09/2020 12:09

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've looked already at all the various possible links to Thetford to no avail. Even the phone number shown on the handbook for the cooker is now obsolete. None of the service agents I have contacted have ever come across the fault so it almost certainly it isn't a spare part that is required.

mgnut53 replied on 27/06/2021 15:51

Posted on 27/06/2021 15:51

Hi John how did you rectify the problem it's just happened to my grill.

Thanks in advance

Hughesygas replied on 07/10/2021 11:48

Posted on 07/10/2021 11:48

Hi This has also just happened to my Thetford Grill, anyone have a solution, Thetford exploded drawing appears to show 2 x screws retaining vertical rods? Accessed by presumably removed hob?

JohnM20 replied on 07/10/2021 16:46

Posted on 07/10/2021 16:46

The fix that  did was actually quite simple albeit a bit fiddly but has so far lasted for 6 weeks away using the grill on most days.

In the grill compartment there is a shaped, stainless steel plate attached to the roof of the compartment with pop rivets. This plate has holes in it. Attached to the grill burner is the expanded steel mesh that turns red when the grill is lit. I got two thin bolts about 40mm long (from memory) that would pass through the holes in the mesh. I then made an oversized washer out of a bit of steel of a size that wouldn't pass through the holes in the stainless steel. I then lifted the burner up and supported it temporarily so that I could pass the bolt through the stainless steel plate and then through the mesh. I used a washer below the mesh and also used two nuts on each bolt to prevent the nuts from working loose. A pair of point nosed pliers proved to be the best way of reaching in with the bolts. 

The repair looks slightly Heath Robinson-ish but it does the job perfectly. Having paid to have the cooker out once before to replace a thermocouple I didn't fancy the expense again. It's a pity that manufacturers can't produce reliable products. 

Apologies mgnut53, I missed your post in June. I was away at the time with no data connection.

Takethedogalong replied on 07/10/2021 21:00

Posted on 07/10/2021 21:00

John, Thetford are located in Wath Upon Dearne, near Rotherham. Sounds like you can visit or buy spares. Might not be too far for you, depending where in Derbyshire you are....๐Ÿ‘

JohnM20 replied on 08/10/2021 07:51

Posted on 08/10/2021 07:51

John, Thetford are located in Wath Upon Dearne, near Rotherham. Sounds like you can visit or buy spares. Might not be too far for you, depending where in Derbyshire you are....๐Ÿ‘

It isn't a matter of being able to get any spares necessary it is the expensive job of having to have the cooker disconnected, removed, repaired, replaced and reconnected by a gas approved engineer. It is an expensive job as I know from experience with an earlier cooker fault. My repair is relatively quick, cheap, safe and is a DIY job as no gas fittings are involved.

EmilysDad replied on 08/10/2021 10:04

Posted on 08/10/2021 07:51 by JohnM20

It isn't a matter of being able to get any spares necessary it is the expensive job of having to have the cooker disconnected, removed, repaired, replaced and reconnected by a gas approved engineer. It is an expensive job as I know from experience with an earlier cooker fault. My repair is relatively quick, cheap, safe and is a DIY job as no gas fittings are involved.

Posted on 08/10/2021 10:04

I've no idea either way but I'm sure it's been said on this forum that Corgi/Gas Safe doesn't apply to your caravan's gas system. I've removed the gas heater from my last caravan for someone else to repair & then refitted it myself.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook