Swift Challenger 565sr 2011 control panel

replied on 09/06/2019 13:22

Posted on 09/06/2019 13:22

Hi, to everyone hope their season is off to a great start.

We have purchased a newer caravan as above, but the manual reg the control panel is a little confusing reg this topic.  Could anyone please help when we are about to set off and change over to the car battery the caravan light on the panel goes green but the car light is staying on amber & im baffled as to why?? As all seems ok done all our checks but this is all new to me.

Wendy.

KjellNN replied on 09/06/2019 13:45

Posted on 09/06/2019 13:45

Which model of control panel do you have?

Having had a quick look at the 2011 handbook, it seems that selection of power when towing should be automatic and that all you need to do is ensure the button on your power supply unit (PSU) is in the "ON" position.

We have a 2008 Swift group van and we do not need to do any selecting when towing, only possibly when stopping.

The habitation relay in the van should cut power to the internal lights, pump etc, but fridge will still be run on 12v from the car and battery be charged as long as your PSU is turned on.

You also need to select 12v on the fridge, unless it auto selects.

KjellNN replied on 09/06/2019 14:27

Posted on 09/06/2019 14:27

Edit......I should also have said that you do not select car battery when towing, the car battery should only be selected when stopped, and only when necessary.

The purpose of being able to select it is in case your caravan battery is flat.  If you remain plugged into the car then you can use from the car battery by using the selector button.

When towing, you are not using the car battery, fridge running and caravan battery charging is direct from the car alternator, not the car battery.

ScreenName4FEEB7DBAE replied on 23/10/2021 19:49

Posted on 23/10/2021 19:49

Just found this old post - having the same problem….

Just back from a long tow with our swift - never had problems before - connect car, turn on PSU, set fridge to 12v power and off we go.

Today - that happened at the start…… but when we stopped for a toilet break and I noticed that the fridge was beeping and flashing a red triangle error meaning it’s not getting proper power.  When I looked at the 12v control panel - the leisure battery was lit green - but the car battery was lit amber - as the original post above.

I have no idea what this means and no reference in the manual. Clearly some problem with the car battery powering the fridge but no idea what or how it’s not working or how to fix it. Wondered if the car battery was tired - but the panel on the main PSU reported it was offering 12.5v still.

Anyone any wise words?

Robert 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook