Solar Panel Regulator Recommendations Please

Nick Powell replied on 04/04/2022 16:29

Posted on 04/04/2022 16:29

Hi

A while back I was given a small solar panel as a present from a family member and fellow caravaner. 

I decided to use it to keep my leisure battery topped up whilst my van was in storage. There were no instructions in the box and the panel came with lead with a red and black croc clip on so I duly connected this to the corresponding terminals on my battery. I went back a few weeks later to find the battery flat and wouldn't hold a charge either so I changed it and didn't bother to use the panel since.

Turns out I think I should have used a regulator or controller as when I measured the output from the panel on a sunny day i was getting about 25V!! So I think I must have cooked it! 

On further research I think I need a MPPT regulator .......... any recommendations please?

SeasideBill replied on 04/04/2022 16:49

Posted on 04/04/2022 16:29 by Nick Powell

Hi

A while back I was given a small solar panel as a present from a family member and fellow caravaner. 

I decided to use it to keep my leisure battery topped up whilst my van was in storage. There were no instructions in the box and the panel came with lead with a red and black croc clip on so I duly connected this to the corresponding terminals on my battery. I went back a few weeks later to find the battery flat and wouldn't hold a charge either so I changed it and didn't bother to use the panel since.

Turns out I think I should have used a regulator or controller as when I measured the output from the panel on a sunny day i was getting about 25V!! So I think I must have cooked it! 

On further research I think I need a MPPT regulator .......... any recommendations please?

Posted on 04/04/2022 16:49

Do you know what the output is from your solar panel? You can generally get away without a controller if it’s less than 5w.

You probably haven’t fried it, an open circuit on a 12v panel is about 22volts e.g if you just stick a voltmeter across the terminals.

It may be that your panel isn’t powerful enough and/or isn’t sited in an optimum position and/or your battery is duff. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook