Problems with the floor in our Swift caravan

NEIL MECKLENBURGH replied on 20/10/2021 20:35

Posted on 20/10/2021 20:35

We have a Swift Challenger that was bought new last year. We have an issue with the floor of our caravan. The floor is a one piece vinyl floor that covers the length and width of the caravan. We have an issue with it in that the floor is not glued down properly in the walkway to the washroom. In addition the cooker lid came away from the hinges in transit and fell onto the floor leaving several dents and chips in the floor. The dealer is proposing to repair the floor by cutting into the vinyl floor and repairing each tile. In our view this is unsatisfactory because the floor was laid as one piece vinyl. If the floor is repaired in this way and  you spill water on the floor by accident or one mops the floor, water could get through and cause water ingress between the vinyl and the base of the floor underneath. I am told by the dealer that this is the recommended repair by Swift. Has anyone had any experience of caravan floors being repaired on this way? What was the quality of the repair? If I am not satisfied with the repair what would you recommend?

eribaMotters replied on 20/10/2021 20:50

Posted on 20/10/2021 20:50

If the floor was repaired by somebody who lays vinyl for a living and not a caravan technician I would have no concerns. 

Colin

JVB66 replied on 21/10/2021 10:47

Posted on 21/10/2021 10:47

Most floor coverings in LVs are laid in one piece before any cabinets and fittings are installed, I do not think I would want any one to attempt to cut pieces out of it,

I would just cover the area with a loose runner,

Tinwheeler replied on 21/10/2021 12:21

Posted on 21/10/2021 10:47 by JVB66

Most floor coverings in LVs are laid in one piece before any cabinets and fittings are installed, I do not think I would want any one to attempt to cut pieces out of it,

I would just cover the area with a loose runner,

Posted on 21/10/2021 12:21

….or put the carpet back on top of it.

Your description of how the van is constructed demonstrates the near impossibility of replacing the vinyl, JV. Therefore, a repair is the only practical way to go other than covering it.

jennyc replied on 28/03/2022 09:10

Posted on 28/03/2022 09:10

I think that some compromise is needed. It’s unrealistic to expect the repairer to remove all of the interior cabinetry in order to replace the vinyl in a single wall to wall sheet. So what is it that you really want? A replacement caravan maybe? How much chance do you seriously think that there is of such a spillage that liquid would creep between joins and damage the floor?  Is the disruption really justified to remedy cosmetic defects? Personally, we’d probably look for cash in compensation, and since we have edge bound carpets, I’d settle for them too.

Landyrover replied on 28/03/2022 09:44

Posted on 28/03/2022 09:44

About 3 years ago we had problems with our Lunar regarding delaminated flooring. The repair meant that large sections of the floor were removed and replaced. In order to do this the vinyl floor covering had to be removed. This was done by carefully cutting round the edge of the fitted furniture so the vinyl was removed in one piece. A proper vinyl floor fitter was employed by the repairers to replace the old vinyl with a single new piece fitted exactly to the edges of the furniture. You can't see where the job was done now. Piecemeal patches wouldn't have worked.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook