New tyres load upgrade

Phil69 replied on 14/09/2021 11:08

Posted on 14/09/2021 11:08

Hi it's got to the time for new tyres my question is has anyone upgraded there tyres load size mine are 86s factory fit but was thinking would it do any harm to get a larger load capacity ie 90s NOT so I can carry more , more just thinking stronger the tyres better or am I risking doing harm to suspension ect or just being over cautious ? After all 86 is what the manufacturer fitted . Yes I know I've probably answered my own question .

Metheven replied on 14/09/2021 11:57

Posted on 14/09/2021 11:57

First off, you won't do any harm by moving up to a higher load index number as it has a stronger sidewall. Secondly, going to a higher load index number of tyre will have no effect on the suspension though may be a slightly harsher ride. Thirdly, the manufacturer chooses a load index in relation to the axle loading and the importance is not to overload the caravan with that in mind.

You seem to have a smallish/lightish caravan with a load index of 86, but if a higher load index figure is more common in your size then they could be cheaper to purchase.

eribaMotters replied on 14/09/2021 13:12

Posted on 14/09/2021 13:12

Phil what is your caravan and what is the max load? Going up a load rating is fine and you may to if 86 in the size you want are not available, but don't overdo it. 10% extra is usually a good guide.

Have you checked the tyresafe website. I keep a copy of the tyres, pressures & loads in our caravan. 

https://www.tyresafe.org/caravan-tyre-safety/load-and-inflation-tables/

Colin

Phil69 replied on 14/09/2021 16:48

Posted on 14/09/2021 11:57 by Metheven

First off, you won't do any harm by moving up to a higher load index number as it has a stronger sidewall. Secondly, going to a higher load index number of tyre will have no effect on the suspension though may be a slightly harsher ride. Thirdly, the manufacturer chooses a load index in relation to the axle loading and the importance is not to overload the caravan with that in mind.

You seem to have a smallish/lightish caravan with a load index of 86, but if a higher load index figure is more common in your size then they could be cheaper to purchase.

Posted on 14/09/2021 16:48

Thank you for replying I've just returned from enquiring at ATS and they said the same the is no harm in upgrading load capacity of the tyres, I have no intention of carrying more weight just thinking it'd be safer fitting stronger tyres .

Phil69 replied on 14/09/2021 16:50

Posted on 14/09/2021 13:12 by eribaMotters

Phil what is your caravan and what is the max load? Going up a load rating is fine and you may to if 86 in the size you want are not available, but don't overdo it. 10% extra is usually a good guide.

Have you checked the tyresafe website. I keep a copy of the tyres, pressures & loads in our caravan. 

https://www.tyresafe.org/caravan-tyre-safety/load-and-inflation-tables/

Colin

Posted on 14/09/2021 16:50

Thank you for your advice going to upgrade just for safety not to carry more weight .

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook