Mains sockets not working

Mr Flibble replied on 01/06/2023 16:01

Posted on 01/06/2023 16:01

Hi all, new member here :)

I have a Swift Utopia 2001 with a strange electrical issue.  Some of my 240 V sockets have stopped working.

Everything was OK earlier today (working on a laptop), and then suddenly the socket switched off.  There was no obvious cause (bang/flash/sound of MCB trip/etc).

The van has three sockets:

• The socket next to the (offside) kitchen sink is not working.
  • The socket on the offside front seat/bed is not working.
  • The socket next to the (nearside) entrance door is working.

All three MCBs and the RCD are in the "on" position.  I've switched them all off and on again to make sure they've not tripped without moving the lever.  As I turn off each MCB, something else on that circuit also switches off, so I know that every MCB is switching correctly.

The 240 V water heater has power.

The 240 V space heater has power.

The 240 V lights work.

The battery charger light comes on when switched on.

So, I'm currently at a loss to explain it:

• it's not an issue with the EHU, since all of the other 240V stuff works.
  • It's not any of the MCBs or the RCD, since they're correctly switching.
  • It's not an issue with the appliance or plug fuse, because it works in the socket by the door.
  • The wiring diagram I have for the van (manufacturer's service manual) shows all three sockets wired in parallel, with no fuses/breakers.

Are there likely to be other fuses/breakers for the sockets somewhere other than the main consumer unit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Arch replied on 01/06/2023 18:12

Posted on 01/06/2023 18:12

Are all the things that work on the nearside and the only 240v items on the offside are the two sockets, if so my my guess is there is a plug and socket join in the 240v loom taking the supply to the offside that's come apart or there is a inline fuse in the loom feeding the offside where that would be I don't know.

Vulcan replied on 01/06/2023 21:37

Posted on 01/06/2023 21:37

On my 2000 year Swift there are several nylon 3 pin connectors in the mains wiring, it might be worth tracing the cable back from the faulty sockets to se if one of these has a bad connection or even come apart.

KjellNN replied on 01/06/2023 21:57

Posted on 01/06/2023 21:57

i would agree, something has come adrift in the loom.   Manufacturers do tend to make the wiring very short, so putting a strain on joints.

We had a similar problem on our 12v system, a plug and socket nearly went on fire.

Mr Flibble replied on 05/06/2023 15:11

Posted on 05/06/2023 15:11

Thanks for the suggestions; I hadn't bothered starting to trace connections at the time - partly because I had assumed that the wiring would be mostly hidden in the walls and roof, and partly because I didn't have my multimeter with me.

Anyway, having got back home and traced it through, it looks like the wiring is mosly under the floor, and most of the connections are accessible in cupboards

It appears to go:

1. Consumer Unit (offside)
  2. Socket next to door (nearside)
  3. Socket next to kitchen sink (offside)
  4. Socket on bunk (offside)
  5. External socket (nearside).

Based on the symptoms, there's a disconnection somwehere between the socket next to the door, and the socket next to the kitchen sink.

Of course, this means that the failing connection is likely to be the only one that's inaccessible (behind the fridge).

And, whilst towing the van back home, it magically fixed itself (until it decides to break again).

Grr...

KjellNN replied on 06/06/2023 15:28

Posted on 06/06/2023 15:28

I presume you have removed the non working sockets for a look at whether the wires are attached securely?

Also....can you access the wiring behind the fridge via the fridge vents?  They are relatively easy to remove.

If not, even a fridge is not that difficult to remove. 

Amesford replied on 08/06/2023 17:44

Posted on 08/06/2023 17:44

I would try one of those socket testers it will show if one of the wires is not connected plus it would be wise to test the working sockets with it as well I always carry one plus a multimeter in the caravan

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook