Jacking twin axle that has 2 motor movers

k9sam replied on 24/10/2019 17:09

Posted on 24/10/2019 17:09

When there are two motor movers fitted to a twin axle caravan the jacking points need to be removed to permit access. In this case where is it safe to position the jack on the chassis to either change a wheel that has a  puncture or position the second Al-ko wheel lock.

For example is it safe to position a jack (bottle/scissor/trolley) between the axles on the chassis or is it better on the bottom of one of the axles?

k9sam replied on 24/10/2019 22:05

Posted on 24/10/2019 19:32 by RedKite

Hi Sam OH says at the bottom of the Axle close to the wheel Have we changed the caravan then?

Posted on 24/10/2019 22:05

Awaiting delivery next month๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Bluemalaga replied on 25/10/2019 10:32

Posted on 25/10/2019 10:32

As you are waiting for delivery, I assume it is a new van. If so check if you are fortunate enough to have chosen one with EP automatic levelling system such as a Buccaneer. If so you will be able to jack up using the centre jacks to lift the van.

If not, consider the possibility of have the system fitted, rather expensive, but will also make it very easy to apply the twin locks.

No bending, kneeling, lying down to find a suitable jacking point, just press a button and up she goes, and best of all easy levelling.

k9sam replied on 25/10/2019 16:00

Posted on 25/10/2019 10:32 by Bluemalaga

As you are waiting for delivery, I assume it is a new van. If so check if you are fortunate enough to have chosen one with EP automatic levelling system such as a Buccaneer. If so you will be able to jack up using the centre jacks to lift the van.

If not, consider the possibility of have the system fitted, rather expensive, but will also make it very easy to apply the twin locks.

No bending, kneeling, lying down to find a suitable jacking point, just press a button and up she goes, and best of all easy levelling.

Posted on 25/10/2019 16:00

Awaiting delivery of Swift Elegance 645. Still not decided whether to get the E&P system fitted. Very tempting but not sure of its reliability in the long term. 

Bluemalaga replied on 25/10/2019 20:27

Posted on 25/10/2019 16:00 by k9sam

Awaiting delivery of Swift Elegance 645. Still not decided whether to get the E&P system fitted. Very tempting but not sure of its reliability in the long term. 

Posted on 25/10/2019 20:27

I see you have asked the question on another post about the EPsystem

We had ours fitted 5 years ago, not tempting providence here, but would not hesitate to make the same decision again. As I said above, it will jack up either side of the van on manual setting and the levelling is so simple.

As we have single axle, first job is to attach wheel lock then the OH sets the level while I set about water and electrics. Do not bother with the remote if it comes at extra cost as the control can be located just inside the door. With two axle and two locks, I guess the first job would be to jack up and fit both locks, then lower and start the levelling process.

Maintenance so far consists of wiping the rams and applying  a wipe of lubricant at the start of our touring season and again before winter.

If cost and weight are not a concern, it will probably be your best gizmo.

Phishing replied on 25/10/2019 23:38

Posted on 25/10/2019 23:38

Wisdom is that it is not good to jack axle tube at any point. The tube and mountings could be damaged. If you have to jack the axel then the point closest to the chassis rail is best. 

The best position is on the bottom of the chassis rail where the axle mounting plate is positioned so you have a double thickness of chassis and bracket to give you the strongest point.  

I carry a low entry light weight 2 tonne jack.

Sell the dreadful Alko wheel lock and replace with a couple of Nemesis then you only need to jack if you get a flat. Far quicker and safer.

k9sam replied on 02/11/2019 14:25

Posted on 02/11/2019 14:25

If you have a puncture on a twin axle caravan would pulling the caravan up onto a yellow wedge type ramp give sufficient height to allow the punctured wheel to be changed? 

Phishing replied on 04/11/2019 20:33

Posted on 04/11/2019 20:33

Generally no but it will give you more clearance to get a trolley jack under the chassis. Same trick for single axle puncture, pull the damaged tyre onto a ramp to give enough height to get the jack under.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook