Indicator not working

ScreenNameFE56A5E302 replied on 11/03/2022 17:28

Posted on 11/03/2022 17:28

Hello, my off side indicator isn't working on my Avondale Godiva. I've checked all the wiring in the black plug on the van, no joy. I've even changed the 13- 7 pin adapter. The fuses seem OK and the bulbs isn't blown. Any ideas? I should have been pitch up behind a pub in the Peak District for the weekend ☹️

EmilysDad replied on 11/03/2022 18:33

Posted on 11/03/2022 18:33

You need to find out whether the fault is in the car or caravan. Can you connect your car to another trailer/caravan/trailer board? Have you got an indicator supply in the black socket on the car? If yes, how far into the caravan does it get? 

jennyc replied on 17/03/2022 11:36

Posted on 17/03/2022 11:36

Beware checking for volts.

A  corroded contact may well pass enough volts to show 12V on your meter, but it may not pass enough current to energise the bulb. You need to test with a bulb, soldered to a probe, with the other side earthed. Once you’ve made up the tester, keep it in your tool box.

EmilysDad replied on 17/03/2022 12:32

Posted on 17/03/2022 11:36 by jennyc

Beware checking for volts.

A  corroded contact may well pass enough volts to show 12V on your meter, but it may not pass enough current to energise the bulb. You need to test with a bulb, soldered to a probe, with the other side earthed. Once you’ve made up the tester, keep it in your tool box.

Posted on 17/03/2022 12:32

Good point. Many moons ago, I was asked to look at a none working interior fan on a car. Had volts to the fan when switched but wouldn't work .... but fan would work when 12 volts from the battery was applied directly. Fault eventually traced to a plug/socket through the bulkhead .... a wire had all been cut through & had left about 2 strands.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook