Gas locker floor finger strip

stephen p replied on 17/04/2017 10:45

Posted on 17/04/2017 10:45

Title may sound vague but I didn't know what to call the thing I am looking for.

Just taken delivery of a new Elddis Crusader Storm. Among the numerous things I have to do to make it usable, I have now discovered that the gas locker floor stops about 2" (50mm) short of the front of the caravan, any small objects are going to end up on the road and some of the road (boulders, gravel, small animals) is going to end up in the locker.

As it was far superior, my sadly departed and much missed (after 2 days) Swift had a plastic strip of fingers stapled to the locker floor to seal this gap in a flexible way.

Anyone know where I can get some of this strip, I can't find it anywhere.

EmilysDad replied on 17/04/2017 10:50

Posted on 17/04/2017 10:50

Sorry, can't help on the 'fingers'

I think most gas locker floors are similar. I have a bucket in my front locker for any such small, easily lost bits & pieces. 

Metheven replied on 17/04/2017 10:53

Posted on 17/04/2017 10:53

Sorry I can't help with your search but I also had the gap problem albeit smaller. Built into my locker floor are the plastic gas vents so I knew by sealing the floor gaps it would not present a problem, and after two mice set up home last year it became a priority. I used the expandable foam from B&Q and once set I shaved it neatly with a knife.

stephen p replied on 17/04/2017 13:55

Posted on 17/04/2017 13:55

Great stuff. Thanks!!

That is just what I had in mind.

What did you search on to find that, "Bottle Box Bird Comb" didn't immediately spring to mind.

After a bit more searching "Bird Comb" it looks like it is the same strip as used to seal the eaves of houses from bird invasion.

gould300 replied on 17/04/2017 16:10

Posted on 17/04/2017 16:10

I think I searched for "swift comb" but I can't recall now smile  It's certainly what we have in the locker on our 2014 Swift 'van.

RobBev0209 replied on 05/03/2022 18:19

Posted on 05/03/2022 18:19

Be careful about filling in any vents where gas bottles are stored. In the event of a gas leak these vents let the gas out. LPG is heavier than air and sinks in the event of a leak, if it can’t escape, BOOM!! 
use a bit of metal mesh. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook