Fridge not working on gas

IanH replied on 25/09/2016 09:16

Posted on 25/09/2016 09:16

We had the caravan fridge serviced earlier this year and the burners were replaced (a problem with fridges of the time, apparantly).

Anyway, we rarely use the fridge on gas, but had to on one site last year. It smelled a bit funny, hence the repair and service.

So I thought it best to put it on gas every so often, to make sure it worked. Every time it has come on instantly after selecting the gas setting.

When we arrived at our current site, as we were setting up I noticed it had inadvertently been put on the gas setting. More worrying was that the blue light was flashing and a fault symbol showing (fault 9).

I've since tried it several times and it won't work on gas (it's fine on electric and was working when we were last towing).

Plenty of gas, isolators still set to on.

Am I missing something?

young thomas replied on 25/09/2016 09:21

Posted on 25/09/2016 09:21

thetford? dometic?

the manual will give some detail on the fault code...obvious next step is what does the manual say about code 9.

Ian, google found me this...

"Fault code 9 - Gas lock out after 30 seconds , there is a remedy for this that the dealer can do which involves shortening the probe so that it intensifies the flame recognition on the power board , thus keeping the flame lit, a faulty pcb can also be to blame for this fault"

might help when talking to a repairer....Happy

i guess youre still away, but a local engineer might look at it.....hows your French?Wink

IanH replied on 25/09/2016 09:26

Posted on 25/09/2016 09:26

Thetford.

Error code 9: Gas lockout because flame fails to ignite after 30 seconds.

IanH replied on 25/09/2016 20:26

Posted on 25/09/2016 20:26

Sorted!

Used all my technical knowledge.......turned it off then on again and now it's working Laughing

Thanks for replying, BB.

Vicmallows replied on 25/09/2016 21:05

Posted on 25/09/2016 21:05

After a failed ignition attempt, you sometimes really DO have to wait several minutes before trying again. (All the instruction manuals mention this .... but we are all impatient, and most often it will light straight away on a second/third attempt anyway). The gas/air mixture from the failed attempt needs to disperse before the burner will relight. The symptom always seems worse when the gas has been turned off at the bottle for some time presumably because a little air has entered the system, so the burner does not light on the first attempt.

ScreenName0215EBBF6C replied on 10/06/2021 20:37

Posted on 25/09/2016 20:26 by IanH

Sorted!

Used all my technical knowledge.......turned it off then on again and now it's working Laughing

Thanks for replying, BB.

Posted on 10/06/2021 20:37

Your technical advice still came in handy in 2021.  Just come across the exact same problem and by following your technical know how, I'm cooling on gas.  Nice one 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook