Flat hose

Fessenden replied on 05/08/2020 14:42

Posted on 05/08/2020 14:42

I am planning to use a 'valve' type filler on my Aquaroll in a few weeks time on a stay at a CL.

Having been to the site before, I estimate the hose from tap to van will be around 20metres.

I am in two minds about buying a 20m reel of flat hose, or a traditional wind up hose on a metal reel - which would obviously be heavier.

Any advice and info will be appreciated.

Thanks

JohnM20 replied on 05/08/2020 16:06

Posted on 05/08/2020 16:06

The main problem with flat hose, I have found, is that it kinks very easily and can stop the flow to the Aquaroll. This is especially relevant if the tap is quite close to the caravan. It means the hose has to be laid out fully in a big loop to avoid kinks. It is also difficult, again I have found when doing it, to try to get steriliser down it. After several weeks between trips of residual water staying in the hose I like to give it a good clean.

As we never drink water that has come through the caravan system I now use a 'normal' round hose. It is claimed that components of the round hose can leach into the water but as I say, we don't drink it.

I have always carried some round hose as an extension in case the tap was too far from the caravan for the flat hose. I don't have it on a reel and the weight is quite negligible. Round hose is also so cheap it can be replaced annually.

obbernockle replied on 05/08/2020 21:39

Posted on 05/08/2020 21:39

We have been using roll flat hose which I bought on ebay for about 8 years. It is blue drinking water hose. I bought a 7M and a 10M length and a M/M conector. Ours is conected to a float valve in the water container. When packing up it needs to well flattened and rolled up tight and I find a damp cloth helps with this and cleans it at the same time. The two little rolls are about 9" and 11" so it good for saving space and weght.  

EmilysDad replied on 05/08/2020 22:06

Posted on 05/08/2020 16:06 by JohnM20

The main problem with flat hose, I have found, is that it kinks very easily and can stop the flow to the Aquaroll. This is especially relevant if the tap is quite close to the caravan. It means the hose has to be laid out fully in a big loop to avoid kinks. It is also difficult, again I have found when doing it, to try to get steriliser down it. After several weeks between trips of residual water staying in the hose I like to give it a good clean.

As we never drink water that has come through the caravan system I now use a 'normal' round hose. It is claimed that components of the round hose can leach into the water but as I say, we don't drink it.

I have always carried some round hose as an extension in case the tap was too far from the caravan for the flat hose. I don't have it on a reel and the weight is quite negligible. Round hose is also so cheap it can be replaced annually.

Posted on 05/08/2020 22:06

if you don't drink the water from the caravan, then there's no need to sterilise the flat hose .... 😉

stephen p replied on 05/08/2020 22:18

Posted on 05/08/2020 22:18

We use a flat hose in a wind up cassette, very compact and fairly light. As mentioned you do need to run the whole length out but if you use a float valve in the aquaroll the water pressure keeps the pipe round. It is quite reluctant to go flat again and back into the casette, particularly in winter, but a little patience and overall a useful product.

Unless you are getting your water from a bore hole source, or similar, then it will be chlorinated etc. by the local water company and as far as I am concerned that is as good as any steriliser so we have always used the caravan water for drinking. 

OrionCalls replied on 06/08/2020 22:39

Posted on 06/08/2020 22:39

I use BRUNNER 15M ROLL-ON HOSE REEL WITH FLAT FOOD GRADE HOSE.

The flat strong hose need not be unwound fully to be used and comprises of a triple chamber system. You can simply pull a metre off and it will work just as well!

Certainly recommended by us 

JWF replied on 24/02/2022 09:05

Posted on 06/08/2020 22:39 by OrionCalls

I use BRUNNER 15M ROLL-ON HOSE REEL WITH FLAT FOOD GRADE HOSE.

The flat strong hose need not be unwound fully to be used and comprises of a triple chamber system. You can simply pull a metre off and it will work just as well!

Certainly recommended by us 

Posted on 24/02/2022 09:05

Hi OrionCalls,

This may sound like a daft question, but HOW to do use the Brunner Flat Hose?

i have just received delivery of mine and the centre hose connector is a nice snug fit into the reel, which is great when storing, but it is needed to connect to a tap, it is a strain to bend out and believe after a short period of time could cause damage to the actual hose it’s connected to. The only other option is to attach another short piece of hose to extend to the tap, but then that defeats the benefit of a single hose / reel function.

Moderator Edit:

Please note that the comment was made in 2020 so it's unlikely that the OP will see your post after all this time.

ABM replied on 24/02/2022 19:43

Posted on 24/02/2022 19:43

Indeed Mr / Ms /Mrs Moderator  !

ORIONCALLS most recent post was in January 2021 so not a prolific poster  frown

DSB replied on 25/02/2022 11:35

Posted on 25/02/2022 11:35

....just in case this is of use to anyone else...  we use flat hoses without any problem.  However, I use them in 5m lengths.  I have 4 lots of 5 metres each with connectors, and just use as few lengths as possible in order to connect to the tap.  I keep each 5m length on a separate reel.  This seems to work well for us....

David

OrionCalls replied on 27/02/2022 17:41

Posted on 27/02/2022 17:41

JWF

If you unroll the hose on your initial use of it, then unfasten slightly more hose in the centre where the hose connection clips in.  You can then roll the hose fully onto the reel.

I did this on my initial use of the hose (about 7 years ago) and I’ve never had any problems with the hose.

Hope this helps.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook