Electricity Usage

ScreenName52042734FE replied on 10/09/2023 21:22

Posted on 10/09/2023 21:22

CARAVAN AND MOTORHOME ELECTRICAL POWER USAGE COSTS?

I have installed an Energy meter in my caravan. Only skilled electrical people should do this.

This meter measures: W, Kwh, A, V, PF, Htz, and can be zeroed .

When there is a power cut it remembers the readings when power is restored. I therefore know exactly what my electrical usage is. 

Ironically, campervans can come with compressor fridges which are:

1.     Far cheaper than 3-way

2.     Can maintain their set temperature in even the most extreme ambient temperatures. My 65 litre portable is designed to cope with Australian temperatures and for the beach as it runs of 240V and 12V. AND it can maintain -22oC in the freezer section! Yes, that is a minus in front!!!

3.     Far cheaper to run as they are more efficient.

4.     The noise level is low and can be suppressed. If they are ok for campervans…….

5.     3-way fridges struggle and are only capable of keeping the temperature some 20oC or so below ambient, so watch out for food spoiling. Compressor fridges do not suffer this problem because of how they work.

ANSWER

Manufacturers should and could fit 12v compressor fridges because:

a.     Saves on energy/running costs and the planet……

b.     The cost saving using compressor fridges could allow:

a.     More solar panels to be fitted.

b.     Lithium batteries to be installed. They are now becoming                             financially attractive.

c.     The above would then allow off-grid running of the fridge on 12v                   electricity even in transit.

d.     Ambient temperatures are rising significantly.

QUESTION?

Why have manufacturers not addressed this, especially as more sites are charging for electricity at silly rates????

They could start by doing this initially on top of the range models.

Then demand would force them to introduce it to all models.

QED (For the mathematicians) out there.

ScreenName52042734FE replied on 10/09/2023 22:14

Posted on 10/09/2023 22:14

The following should have been at the top of my post.

=============

For electricity usage, the elephant in the room is a 3-way fridge which effectively even in mild ambient temperatures in UK run 24/7, mostly often without ever shutting down.

When these are installed in European Caravans / Motorhomes they often come fitted with 12v fans to assist in cooling the radiator as standard, BUT not in UK to my knowledge. Even with these fans they give very poor performance.

richardandros replied on 21/09/2023 05:37

Posted on 21/09/2023 05:37

I installed a similar meter in my van about three years ago. Quite a simple installation.  However, whilst it's very useful for monitoring the current being drawn at any one time, I don't find the total consumption over a given period to be very accurate.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/09/2023 12:36

Posted on 21/09/2023 12:36

It’s camping Jim, but not as we know it………😁

I actually enjoy the more rudimentary aspects of touring, regardless of whether it’s a tent, a caravan or a motorhome. Happy to leave all the tech stuff for home, but if it’s something you are interested in, and it helps, then go for it 👍

Hja replied on 21/09/2023 13:10

Posted on 21/09/2023 13:10

Our pvc came with a compressor fridge. We have installed lithium to ensure we can manage off grid. I saw a couple of reviews of the recent Düsseldorf show and even some caravans are having compressor fridges installed. I get the feeling that European manufacturers of new vans are more likely to install compressor fridges and there are quite a few people changing their fridges to compressor. I suspect that uk manufacturers are inclined to put in three way fridges because they always have! Another advantage of compressor fridges is you get more space inside the fridge than a three way of the same physical size.

jennyc replied on 27/09/2023 09:38

Posted on 27/09/2023 09:38

While we’re unhappy with the cooling capability of our Dometic 3 way fridge (-16 deg below ambient is specified), it does assist off grid camping, giving access to more ‘back to nature’ sites. The weight penalty of hugely larger solar panels needed to power à compresser fridge may be offset by lighter Lithium batteries, except that you’d need greater battery capacity/ size to offset the increased drain. Reference to continental vans using compressor driven fridges as slightly misleading because, commonly, continental canners; use electric hookups, public ablutions, site washing up facilities and minimal on board cooking facilities. You’ll rarely see a water barrel too. That’s not universally true, but common. Warm weather encourages salad based meals, AirCon and outdoor living, as experienced in more southerly climes than our own, creates a different usage profile. Back in Britain, our 120w of solar panels couldn’t keep pace with demand despite the fridge and heating running on gas during an off grid stay in the inclement summer of 2021 weather. Fortunately we carried a spare battery, which is unconventionally charged from the car’s circuitry when not towing. We’d be sorry to lose our current off grid capability, but delighted to have a fridge capable of properly cooling in 30+ deg weather. Payload limitations preclude some ‘like to have’ compromises.

Woodsman replied on 28/09/2023 15:24

Posted on 28/09/2023 15:24

I've installed two computer fans linked to a temperature (adjustable) switch to our Bailey Alicanto.  So far no problems getting it down to a low temperature and the freezer compartment keeps stuff frozen, ice cubes etc.  In the UK.  the problem with compressor fridges is that it removes the 'gas' option.  Given sufficient battery reserve and enough sun/solar then I would happily go with a compressor,  More efficient but in the depths of winter with little solar and 7 days infront of us the battery calculations add up to a heck of a lot of lithium, (yes we have been lithium for 4 years now and no way would I go back). but for the winter the sums just do not add up yet.  I'm thinking of buying a 40 litre compressor fridge/freezer as an over flow unit for some trips. we shall see what power that uses in the real world.

Hja replied on 28/09/2023 16:08

Posted on 28/09/2023 16:08

We have 120w solar and 230 v lithium and we seem to manage off grid with our compressor fridge. We rarely use site facilities. I am not sure where cooking comes into it, we use gas.

young thomas replied on 29/09/2023 18:48

Posted on 29/09/2023 18:48

Managing for a long period off grid (without driving to recharge) is a balancing act...pitting usage (water pump, lighting, charging phones, charging ebike batteries) running tv, a compressor fridge etc) against input (solar or from storage..your batteries).

we have 300w of solar and for three seasons (or anytime when in Spain) there's enough juice daily to service all our needs and our two ancient AGM 95ah batteries are still going strong after many years.

do I need lithium...in a nutshell, no. My touring pattern has us in Europe twice a year (early autumn and late winter early spring) over a total of about 20 weeks....when we are at home it's summer and the sun is hopefully shining.

the big difference for us was adding two extra 100w panels to the existing one. 300w makes such a difference when sun is patchier...

add this to the two batteries and a refillable gas system and, despite doing a couple of weeks at a time on THS non EHU sites) we really don't need a B2B charger or lithium or....

the only thing I would change (for us) is I would upgrade our small 500w inverter (runs mains only Sky+ box and mains ebike chargers) to something that can run OH hair drier for 2-3 mins a day...

understanding requirements based on real touring patterns should dictate the kit required to underpin it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook