Duvalay mattress uncomfortable

Surfer replied on 29/08/2015 09:34

Posted on 29/08/2015 09:34

As a mattress is part and parcel of a caravan I think this is under the appopriate heading.

Previously we had a heavy pocket sprung mattress plus a 5cm memory foam mattress topper in our 2011 Delta TI.  As we need to lose some weight to keep within our MTPLM we looked around for a lighter replacement mattress and after making inquiries, doing a bit of research and trying out the mattress in Swift caravans we went ahead and purchased the Duvalay Apollo mattress as it was supposed to be the top of the range in comfort etc.

We are bitterly disappointed with our purchase as now both of us suffer from sore and painful hips and end up tossing and turning all night trying to get comfortable.  It feels as if we are sleeping on a topper that is on a concrete floor.  Duvalay state that it takes awhile for the mattress to become comfortable.  Not worth the £500 plus we spent!

We have raised the issue with Duvalay and they have offered us a discount on a mattress topper!  The idea of buying the mattress was to get rid of the topper and have one less item in the caravan.  We have now offered to take the caravan with the mattress to them even though it is a 2 hour trip for us, but they seem reluctant to take up our offer. The painful part is that as it is custom made it creates an issue with the Sale of Goods Act.

On the plus side they are very prompt to respond to complaints unlike many other companies.  Has any one else found that their Duvalay mattress is uncomfortable and a mattress topper is required?

ScreenName0B9DF44D18 replied on 28/08/2021 12:56

Posted on 29/08/2015 09:34 by Surfer

As a mattress is part and parcel of a caravan I think this is under the appopriate heading.

Previously we had a heavy pocket sprung mattress plus a 5cm memory foam mattress topper in our 2011 Delta TI.  As we need to lose some weight to keep within our MTPLM we looked around for a lighter replacement mattress and after making inquiries, doing a bit of research and trying out the mattress in Swift caravans we went ahead and purchased the Duvalay Apollo mattress as it was supposed to be the top of the range in comfort etc.

We are bitterly disappointed with our purchase as now both of us suffer from sore and painful hips and end up tossing and turning all night trying to get comfortable.  It feels as if we are sleeping on a topper that is on a concrete floor.  Duvalay state that it takes awhile for the mattress to become comfortable.  Not worth the £500 plus we spent!

We have raised the issue with Duvalay and they have offered us a discount on a mattress topper!  The idea of buying the mattress was to get rid of the topper and have one less item in the caravan.  We have now offered to take the caravan with the mattress to them even though it is a 2 hour trip for us, but they seem reluctant to take up our offer. The painful part is that as it is custom made it creates an issue with the Sale of Goods Act.

On the plus side they are very prompt to respond to complaints unlike many other companies.  Has any one else found that their Duvalay mattress is uncomfortable and a mattress topper is required?

Posted on 28/08/2021 12:56

I can totally agree about the duvalay mattress being uncomfortable. The duvalay lite deluxe mattress came with the motorhome, we have tried mattress toppers if varying depths etc but nothing worked. We have now had made to measure mattress made and are very happy. Yes they are heavier BUT what with toppers etc no longer needed I think the weight difference is negligible. 

CMR76 replied on 10/09/2021 22:27

Posted on 10/09/2021 22:27

Same here, although a bit old now, we have a duvalay duvalite in challenger 584 sport and it's like a concrete slab. We dread bedtime.  We have a new duvalay  mattress on the way and hoping this one will be much better. 

eribaMotters replied on 30/09/2021 14:58

Posted on 30/09/2021 14:58

I would push for them looking at it. They are aimed at caravan owners so it is not unreasonable for the mattress to do its job. I cannot see why a custom made item would create an issue with the Sale of Goods Act as the product has to be fit for purpose.

When you eventually resolve the issue with them then take a visit ti IKEA. You can try all of the mattresses for comfort in store. The foam models are good, lightweight and you may be able to remove the cover and cut to size the foam with a bread knife to your own template. I did this with one of there 50mm toppers.

Colin

CMR76 replied on 24/10/2021 11:44

Posted on 24/10/2021 11:44

I've just got a new duvalay gravity luxe for my challenger 584 and it's awful. It originally had the older version which was just as bad. I don't understand the hype behind these mattresses, I think they're made from memory concrete. I'm going to try and put a sheet of 18mm mdf cut to the shape on top which might make it a little softer. Next step is an emma mattress with the corners cut off.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook